New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

External hard drive compatibility question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MUMacUser

MUMacUser is on a distinguished road

http://www.supergooddeal.com/ciid12728mbc.html

Will this work with a G4 powerbook?

TIA
-Kevin

IF YES, what is the deal with the external port card they are talking about?
QUOTE Thanks
.emo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMacUser
http://www.supergooddeal.com/ciid12728mbc.html

Will this work with a G4 powerbook?

TIA
-Kevin

IF YES, what is the deal with the external port card they are talking about?

no it will not that is a serail ata drive in an enclosure...you would need to get a sata pcmcia card which i do not belive they make...if they do its NOT worth it...i recomend a lacie 160/200GB firewire 400 drive...

if you have a newer powerbook then you will have a fw800 port which opens up the newest FW tech at fingertips...fw800 drives are more expensive but the speed is greatly increased from the FW400...

you could check these out lacies out usb2.0/fw4/fw8 all in one...here
QUOTE Thanks
MUMacUser

How do I know if my computer is firewire 800 compatible?
It was bought this year... and when I go to System Profile, under Firewire it says Speed: 800MB/sec Speed

That it?
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

Is it a 12" or 15/17" PowerBook?

The 12" does not have FireWire 800, only 400. The 15" and 17" have FireWire 800. A FireWire 800 port looks a bit like a FireWire 400 crossed with a USB port. It should be to the right of the FireWire 400 port and to the left of the Ethernet.
QUOTE Thanks
MUMacUser

Yeah, I have th 15". Excellent..
I'm thinking about getting this one: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10029

What do you guys think?

Edit: 120 gig

Also- Do you guys think that it matters if it does or doesn't have larger than a 2MB buffer? I was looking at some other ones that have an 8MB buffer.. Will this make that much of a difference?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Filemaker or network or tcp/ip???? | Concerned about high speed internet connection »