New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook or Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GeorgeTink

GeorgeTink is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Coming soon

Hi
If you've seen my thread in the selling section you'll know that i recently got 20'' 2.0ghz imac but now wish i got a mb or mbp. the models are black macbook vs 15'' macbook pro 2.2ghz
So Macbook or Macbook pro?

Now i know the mbp has the nvidia graphics card but the only games i will be playing are sims 2,football manager 2008 and commander and generals can the black macbook handle them?

i also like the 15'' screen for watching some films and that you get the option for matte or glossy.

I will be doing so simple film editing but i wont be using fcp just imovie hd/08

Wont be editing photos

so all i want to know is from my imac money shall i buy the black macbook
and not use all my money or use it all on the macbook pro?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacMailman

MacMailman is on a distinguished road

I got my kids Macbooks (2ghz models) and my wife a Macbook Pro (17" 2.6ghz, 4GB RAM version) for christmas and to be honest, I much prefer the macbooks.

They are plenty fast enough for what the kids and wife want to do (homework, surfing the net, maybe play a bit of Sims2). The Macbook Pro is a real hellbeast of a laptop. It is lovely and sleek and shiney BUT its quite heavy for my wife and is MASSIVE!

If I was buying for myself I would probably go for a 15" Macbook.

Regards

Mailman

ps. Santa gave me a iMac 2.8GHZ, 4GB RAM computer for christmas. Ive always wanted an Apple...now I got so many they are coming out of my wazoo!
QUOTE Thanks
Vodevil

Vodevil is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro. 16GB iPod Touch.

I highly prefer the MacBook Pro, A. It's a better machine, and B. I like the Aluminum Case better then the plastic of the MacBooks. Then again I use Final Cut Studio 2, so for your use the MacBook may be better.
QUOTE Thanks
Hope for Chaos

Hope for Chaos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm

I would have to second the macbook pro. I don't have a Mac yet but desperate want one and could actually afford a macbook now but after checking them out at the Appel store the 13" screen is small so if you plan on watching anything or editing like you say then go with the 15". The price steps up I know but you're also getting more under the hood other than a bigger screen. Plus macbooks are so small anyway that transport shouldn't be a problem with the pro.
QUOTE Thanks
chaos.theorist

chaos.theorist will become famous soon enough

i just bought a macbook pro (17" hi-res/2.6/4GB) and i love it. compared to my Dell XPS m1710, this thing is feather-light. it's the lightest in it's class and the weight really doesn't bother me a bit. like i said, it feels light....
QUOTE Thanks
cavalier

cavalier is on a distinguished road

First, let me list my bona fides

I'm a fairly recent Mac convert. My wife has a Macbook (not the most recent batch, but the last version before it)

I'm saving up for a notebook myself (currently use a three year old eMac)

I have been using and maintaining computers for nearly 15 years, mostly PCs, but some Unix background as well.

I will be buying a Macbook. No Pro for me. The price differential is significant, and the only bonus I can see is the video card - that dedicated video RAM is definitely tempting - but the screens are too large for real portability, and the Macbook does everything I would want it to do.

As for the games you listed, I might be tempted to go with the Pro. Sims 2 is pretty intense, graphically.
QUOTE Thanks
Gbeav

Gbeav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Macbook

If you are planning on doing any gaming I would spend the extra money on the Pro. It's better to have more power in that department so you don't make the wrong choice.

I picked up a ps3 and xbox 360 for all my future gaming needs so the macbook was perfect for me. And I love the 13.3" size for portability.
QUOTE Thanks
Kalison

Kalison will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac

I say MBP. I recently switched to Mac and got the MacBook... and just recently sold it and bought a MBP (24 days time).

The MacBook is 5 pounds, and the MBP 15" is about 4 ounces heavier, so weight is not an issue. The outside physical dimensions are not even close enough to make it harder to carry either. I think the only thing that turns me off the MBP is the higher amount of heat it produces compared to the MacBook.

If you are going to do any games get the MBP, granted the MacBook did play games I didn't think it had any business running. It still wasn't good enough for me (lets face it... playing a game and PLAYING a game are two different things... no one likes to play with mushy textures and no visual distances or effects), and I don't even really play games anymore... also... while most people say light video editing, I think they end up like me, and fall in love with it and wish they got some more horse power to do more video editing (not to mention the screen real estate). My MacBook just couldn't handle doing movies the way I wanted it to, but it fared far better than I thought it would.

I hope this helps. The money spent on the MBP is worth it in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
GeorgeTink

Nobody's checking out my other post relating to this please can you all take a look at my post in the buy sell trade area.
Thanks for all the comments im leaning towards the mbp but does anyone know if watching movies on the 13'' makes you squint?
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

I've owned both a Macbook and MBP in the last 9 months. I loved both of them, and like the MBP better. That being said, the MBP has more application crashes than my Macbook (which I sold). I have no idea why, but my Macbook was definitely more stable.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
chat19

chat19 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600

I pray you guys are buying your ram 3rd party and saving $600+ in the process...?

"We, the Chinese people, draft the entire Woo-Tang Clan!"
QUOTE Thanks
chat19

chat19 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600

and no, no squinting is required to watch movies. it looks quite nice. we are not talking about a psp here!

"We, the Chinese people, draft the entire Woo-Tang Clan!"
QUOTE Thanks
Nagger Pumper

Nagger Pumper will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD

I have a macbook and this thing is great !!! The MBP may be better performing, but I think the macbook is better for the price. It handles everything I throw at it.
QUOTE Thanks
ezcompane

ezcompane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

i love my macbook...but it does stink not being able to play games on it. i wish apple could find a way to fit a better video card in them.however, i mainly use my laptop for school work--papers, web browsing, PDF stuff. with that said my next purchase sometime around 2 years from now will definitely be a macbook pro...right now i really dig the 2.4ghz 15" model, but i'm sure by the time i get around to buying one they will have something way better available.

LIVE and PSN: EZCOMPANE
2008 MacBook Pro (2.5ghz C2D,6gb,80 SSD, 500 GB), iPad 32GB, iPhone 4 16gb, 2011 MacBook Air (11" 1.87 i7, 4GB, 128GB) 2010 MacBook Air (13" 1.86 C2D, 4gb, 128gb), Boxee, Netgear Stora
QUOTE Thanks
GeorgeTink

Thanks for the replies but, the thing im stuck on is im only going to play games once in a while. Does anyone have any games on thier macbook if so how do they run (preffered games sims2,c&c)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« web clips with Safari | Not Reading commercial cds »