New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Not Reading commercial cds

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Twync

Twync is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, just switched over to using a mac (G4 power mac with Tiger) for my music production and hit a snag already.

The G4 will not load commercial discs? In this i mean Genuine discs for Reason 4, Cubase 4 and all my cover discs from Computer Music or Future Music. Oddly the G4 did except my old Reason 3 discs. All my other discs that i've burnt up in the past on my old pc which contain mp3's, wavs etc. open and play ok.

I've tried my disc cleaner as well. All discs will open up in windows with out problems so i reckon these are not faulty discs. There must be a setting somewhere in Tiger that i'm missing (again new to the OS of tiger)

Anyone have any similar problems and suggest what to try?
QUOTE Thanks
Rimmer

Rimmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twync View Post
Hi guys, just switched over to using a mac (G4 power mac with Tiger) for my music production and hit a snag already.

The G4 will not load commercial discs? In this i mean Genuine discs for Reason 4, Cubase 4 and all my cover discs from Computer Music or Future Music. Oddly the G4 did except my old Reason 3 discs. All my other discs that i've burnt up in the past on my old pc which contain mp3's, wavs etc. open and play ok.

I've tried my disc cleaner as well. All discs will open up in windows with out problems so i reckon these are not faulty discs. There must be a setting somewhere in Tiger that i'm missing (again new to the OS of tiger)

Anyone have any similar problems and suggest what to try?
Sounds like the drive is on it's way out to be honest. I lost a couple on my old G4 tower. Luckily the replacement superdrive was just over 20 and fitted really quickly. Could be something else but I doubt it..

Rimmer
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

the pioneer drives also work well

I have a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D in mine, works a treat
QUOTE Thanks
Twync

I've got to agree, it does seem that reading between the lines that the drive is probably on its way out. I've been trolling through various forum pages on the web this afternoon and a lot of then say that the DVD drives especially in G4's seem to bite the dust. I've now tried every cover disc which a bloody lot in my collection and also a genuine Reason tutorial by ASK video which isn't excepted. There all spat out after approx 10 seconds.

I'm in the UK, were did buy your replacements? Like the sound of the Pioneer drive, any others that are hopefully fail safe to look at?

Thanks on the quick responses by the way, was so hoping to be getting on the music writing case during the holiday break before back to work, sod's law i guess.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

cannot remember where I bought it

I just googled (froogled) pioneer dvd drive, they are about £17
QUOTE Thanks
Rimmer

Rimmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twync View Post
I've got to agree, it does seem that reading between the lines that the drive is probably on its way out. I've been trolling through various forum pages on the web this afternoon and a lot of then say that the DVD drives especially in G4's seem to bite the dust. I've now tried every cover disc which a bloody lot in my collection and also a genuine Reason tutorial by ASK video which isn't excepted. There all spat out after approx 10 seconds.

I'm in the UK, were did buy your replacements? Like the sound of the Pioneer drive, any others that are hopefully fail safe to look at?

Thanks on the quick responses by the way, was so hoping to be getting on the music writing case during the holiday break before back to work, sod's law i guess.
I think I got the same drive as Louishen. Either that or it was the 112. I found the recommendation from XLR8YOURMAC. Check the Drive Compatibility database. I think I posted a review on there myself.

I ordered the drive online. Check the database and then order away. There are quite a few ones that simply plug in. Cheap and easy..

Rimmer
QUOTE Thanks
Twync

Thanks guys for the info, now on the case
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook or Macbook Pro | I need help with tiger. »