New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

A really dumb question... how to uninstall?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac_noobie

Hi, I know this might sound stupid but I just switched to MAC not too long ago, over the course of a few weeks I've added Apps. However I think I am doing the right thing when removing them I take them from the applications folder to the trash can right? On Windows there was an add/remove program that help guide you through it... I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

Yes apple makes it much more simple by just dragging the apps ao app folders in to the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

Remember to quickly look through the Preferences folder in Libary to make sure there are no files left in their connected to it.
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

If i am correct, these files in the library and preference folder won't do any harm, but they are messy.
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkhy
If i am correct, these files in the library and preference folder won't do any harm, but they are messy.
...and if they're massive XML files, like iTunes stores, then removing them may free up some of that precious hard drive space.
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

I beg to differ, I have tons of programs installed, and my preference folder is only 5.2 mb
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

My iTunes libary files make a combined total of 4.17MB - and that's only about 1700 songs. I think iTunes keeps its files in the iTunes folder in Music though... (I was only using it as an example )
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

Oh, even so that is still not that much... and i think that is how iTunes uses the "spotlight" technology that it has.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Spotlight doesn't exist yet in release. It's a Tiger feature. iTunes does not use it at this point.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless connection help, please? | Filemaker or network or tcp/ip???? »