New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Question about RAM upgrades

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MUMacUser

MUMacUser is on a distinguished road

I recall reading something on here about some cheap RAM upgrades, (1GB for like $150) And I'm wondering... how easy is it to upgrade your own ram on the G4 Powerbook?

TIA
-Kevin
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMacUser
I recall reading something on here about some cheap RAM upgrades, (1GB for like $150) And I'm wondering... how easy is it to upgrade your own ram on the G4 Powerbook?

TIA
-Kevin
Upgrading the RAM on Apple notebooks is extremely simple. Just be sure to buy quality memory.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_noobie

I recall one time I bought cheap RAM for my PC and it ran so hot you couldnt even get near it. I felt the heat through a 2" wood desk. Definatly get quality RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
MUMacUser

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4158153

????
Does that look like quality stuff?
Also, is there a walkthorugh online some where telling you how to open the Powerbook up without messing anything up royally?
Thanks!
-Kevin
QUOTE Thanks
MUMacUser

Bump-
QUOTE Thanks
Animatronica

A lot of times the "premium" brand memory is the "cheaper" stuff only renamed and marked up to make it look like your getting something of higher quality. Thats Extremely cheap for a 1gb dimm....and the expense is at the quality. I would stay away form that type..Personally I would only get either Kingston, Corsair or Simpletech. Those brands have done very well and have never had any issues with either.
QUOTE Thanks
MUMacUser

What is the specific type of memory that the Powerbooks take?

-Kev
QUOTE Thanks
LClark1L

Stay away from crappy RAM. I've seen my PC (I'm switching!!!) die with low-budget RAM, and that's a scary thing to have happen in the middle of your joyous computing experience.
QUOTE Thanks
brevans

http://www.macsolutions.com/ has specs on all memory. It might help when trying to find something compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
What is the specific type of memory that the Powerbooks take?

-Kev
DDR PC2700 RAM

And adding new RAM is really simple. Unscrew a few screws and you'll see a slot for adding new RAM (You won't see anything else, just the RAM slot, so you can't screw anything up at all). You just pop the RAM in the slot and put the screws back, and you're PowerBook runs faster than an athlete on crack.

Good luck! And be sure to get some quality RAM!
QUOTE Thanks
starrin

Hi,

I just ordered a 1GB stick and I have a PowerBook 15inch 1.25Ghz. I believe there is two 512 sticks in my machine right now.

Which bay would you all recommend I use for the 1 GB stick?

Thanks,

Jason
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

It doesn't really matter, either bay should do the trick. You'll still have 1.512GB RAM, and the different bays don't really give greater performance or anything. So just slide out the nearest 512MB stick and slide in your new 1GB stick.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
starrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k
It doesn't really matter, either bay should do the trick. You'll still have 1.512GB RAM, and the different bays don't really give greater performance or anything. So just slide out the nearest 512MB stick and slide in your new 1GB stick.

Good luck!
Cool -- I really appreciate the feedback.

--Jason
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External hard drive question | File maker? I need answers »