chronogoof89
    Wireless connection help, please?
    Hey. I recently moved into my dorm at Colorado State University. The dorm is saturated with wireless internet. I have been using the hard line though, because I figure its probably faster, and my laptop is already hooked up to: Printer speakers, Mouse, Ipod, power cord, lock, so what's a cat6?

Problem is, I decided to try the wireless out, I turn on airport. It said it found the network 'csu'. I was like cool. I had good signal strength and everything. I opened Safari and it can't connect to any websites???! However.... in iTunes I can share music with all the people on the wireless network (i know this becasue when I turn on airport, like 4 more people pop up on top of the hardline network people).

What's going on, why can't I get to the internet?

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Check System Preferences
    Network
    Airport and the TCP/IP check to see if it is set to DHCP automatically
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    When all else fails, Google for it. A search for "colorado state university wireless" turned up

http://www.colostate.edu/acns/wireless/
    Which has this helpful bit:
    Access to the wireless network is controlled for security reasons. A VPN (virtual private network) client is required to access the wireless network.

Using VPN: Individuals must use a VPN client to access the wireless network. See the VPN web page for information on downloading and using a VPN client.
    There's a link on the page....

chronogoof89
    Quote Originally Posted by technologist
    When all else fails, Google for it. A search for "colorado state university wireless" turned up

http://www.colostate.edu/acns/wireless/
    Which has this helpful bit:

There's a link on the page....

Yeah. My bad. I went to the Apple Dealer here on campus and they gave me the VPN on a CDR. I'm gonna install it now and see if that works...

ChicoWeb
    Probably depends on your access point. Some may require WEP, or a Password. I to, can not connect sometimes to unprotected access points that my PC buddies can.

chronogoof89
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicoWeb
    Probably depends on your access point. Some may require WEP, or a Password. I to, can not connect sometimes to unprotected access points that my PC buddies can.
    Meh... It works now! Its actually faster than my hard line connection. By quite a bit. I think they want you to use the VPN so they can make you log in? That way they can monitor what you're doing?

mac_noobie
    Yea I was about to say wireless never seemed any slower than through the wire to me... But you have obviously found this out for yourself :cool: .

chronogoof89
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_noobie
    Yea I was about to say wireless never seemed any slower than through the wire to me... But you have obviously found this out for yourself :cool: .
    Well, they use 802.11g here. 802.11b seems slower, but I'm used to either very fast cable or a dedicated T1.

Thread Information