New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Happy Switcher with a question about icons

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

N2O1138

N2O1138 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone, this is my first post here (and yes, I did search first). I just got a Macbook Pro for Christmas, and it's my family's first Mac. Everything's working perfectly, except for a very minor complaint.

I don't like the Opera dock icon because of how off-centered it looks. I've downloaded this
icon and dragged (and copy/pasted, just to be sure) it into the Opera "Get Info" window, and the icon changes... to the Preview icon, instead of showing the actual image. I've tried converting the (.png) file to .jpg and .icns with the same problem.

Here is a picture showing my problem, with the icons from left to right being Preview, the original Opera icon (from a copy I made to avoid reinstalling Opera if it didn't work), and the new Opera icon

and another showing my array of browsers (I still haven't decided what to use, and left Thunderbird in there by mistake) and how the Opera icon doesn't fit in
QUOTE Thanks
frazzm737

frazzm737 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac--OSX 10.6.7

My Opera icon is also off center--don't know of any way to change it. It is the only such misfit that I have encountered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture.jpg (5.4 KB, 3 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mikepugs

mikepugs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard

Most likely Opera takes it's icon from an internal source file, so copy and pasting like most app icon switches wont work. You're probably going to need an icon management application. There are several free ones I've heard mentioned but I've never used any but I bet someone else has a few they can recommend.

Question, why use opera anyway?

Welcome to the forum by the way, and enjoy your new life as a mac user!

l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l
QUOTE Thanks
ShadowSpandex

ShadowSpandex is on a distinguished road

When you dragged the new icon into Opera's 'Get Info' window were you dragging/cut 'n pasting the icon file? Try..
1. Opening the .icns' 'Get Info' window
2. Copying the icon preview of the .icns
3. Paste it over Opera's icon preview in 'Get Info'

That should work for you, I've had problem before.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

The Opera Icon has a 'shadow'. Taken as one (ie 'O' plus it's shadow) it is centered just as it's supposed to be. But I agree it looks odd.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

you need to open the new image/icon in preview first
then copy the image and paste it in operas get info window....
If you just click on the icon of the new icon, you will just get the picture for that file extension

But I agree with mikepugs, opera probably gets it's dock icon from its internal files...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
N2O1138

N2O1138 is on a distinguished road

I just tried NPuter's suggestion and it worked, although I could've sworn I had done that before. Thanks for the help everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

I'm glad it worked...
It frustrated me too when I was doing this for the first time

BTW: did my suggestion also change the dock icon...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mail deleting attachments on forwards | Worried »