New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sometimes my MBP won't type...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lineyjay

lineyjay is on a distinguished road

So, I recently switched from a PC to a MacBook Pro. I love it except I am having one problem--sometimes I will try to type something and the computer flat-out won't recognize anything I do with the keyboard. No letters show up, and no keyboard shortcuts work. Generally, restarting it solves this but it always shows up later. It's really irritating! Is this something that is worth sending my laptop in to Apple for or is there something I can do?

It's brand new, so I don't think I did anything to it.

Also, when this happens with the keyboard, every other function on the computer works fine. It doesn't freeze at all and I can still click things and navigate, but my keyboard won't work.

Any idea what might be going on?
QUOTE Thanks
godfatherrr

godfatherrr is on a distinguished road

I'd say take it in, plain and simple.
QUOTE Thanks
lineyjay

lineyjay is on a distinguished road

Okay, I just looked it up, and apparently this problem is pretty common with MacBook Pros, especially when running on battery. I downloaded the update that supposedly fixes the problem, but my computer told me that I don't need it. I really hope there is something I can do. I don't know how taking it in will help, unfortunately...I read accounts of people who did that and apparently they just tell you to go install the updates. I guess it's worth a try, but I'm going to be really ticked off if I can't get this fixed.

I'm an English major...I type all the time...so this is really getting on my nerves!
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Yeah, that's an issue with leopard not your Macbook, I was having the same issue, but after running software update and downloading the fix for the problem I haven't experienced the issue since!

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

software update probably already installed the update on your computer...
that is why it says you don't need the update

If you use software update included with OS X... there should not be a reason to download updates from apple.com

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Try reinstalling the update. Sometimes it'll fix certain problems.

Don't go by Software Update, go to Apple/Support/Downloads, spot the update you want to manually reapply (10.5.1?) and download it on your desktop.

Unplug all unnecessary peripherals.

Restart in Safe Boot mode by holding down the Shift key. Log in to your user account and install the update. Restart normally and see if this solves it or not.

Report back. Good luck for this!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Camera won't show up on the desktop-works in iPhoto and system profiler though. | Changing default away in iChat »