Sometimes my MBP won't type...
    So, I recently switched from a PC to a MacBook Pro. I love it except I am having one problem--sometimes I will try to type something and the computer flat-out won't recognize anything I do with the keyboard. No letters show up, and no keyboard shortcuts work. Generally, restarting it solves this but it always shows up later. It's really irritating! Is this something that is worth sending my laptop in to Apple for or is there something I can do?

It's brand new, so I don't think I did anything to it.

Also, when this happens with the keyboard, every other function on the computer works fine. It doesn't freeze at all and I can still click things and navigate, but my keyboard won't work.

Any idea what might be going on?

VA, US
    I'd say take it in, plain and simple.

Okay, I just looked it up, and apparently this problem is pretty common with MacBook Pros, especially when running on battery. I downloaded the update that supposedly fixes the problem, but my computer told me that I don't need it. I really hope there is something I can do. I don't know how taking it in will help, unfortunately...I read accounts of people who did that and apparently they just tell you to go install the updates. I guess it's worth a try, but I'm going to be really ticked off if I can't get this fixed.

I'm an English major...I type all the this is really getting on my nerves!

Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
    Yeah, that's an issue with leopard not your Macbook, I was having the same issue, but after running software update and downloading the fix for the problem I haven't experienced the issue since!
    Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.

Miami, Fl
    15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
    software update probably already installed the update on your computer...
    that is why it says you don't need the update

If you use software update included with OS X... there should not be a reason to download updates from

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."

Try reinstalling the update. Sometimes it'll fix certain problems.

Don't go by Software Update, go to Apple/Support/Downloads, spot the update you want to manually reapply (10.5.1?) and download it on your desktop.

Unplug all unnecessary peripherals.

Restart in Safe Boot mode by holding down the Shift key. Log in to your user account and install the update. Restart normally and see if this solves it or not.

Report back. Good luck for this!

Thread Information