Question New iMac - a few questions
    Got my new imac and i love it!! Just a few questions:

1/ I would like to set up shared music folder for all users so instead of using the default users>[user name]>music>itunes>itunes music i'd like to use users>shared>music>itunes>itunes music. This would mean that all users of the computer had the same itunes library which would be good for me. At the moment I have added the shared music folder but only one user has read/write access to all the folders within it. I changed the sharing settings through system preferences but this doesn't change the settings for all the artists/albums/songs within the itunes music forum, only for the whole folder!! Driving me crazy. If I was to go back to keeping the music in each users folder, it would be an exact copy so more HD space would be used up - pointlessly!

Can you also do the same for iPhoto (i have not tried out iPhoto yet) and have like a family photos folder with read/write access for every user.

I would like the above to kind of work a bit like Shared Documents in Windows if anyone is familiar with it.

2/ How do I add my iMac to an existing workgroup with 2 PC's on it?

3/ I asked this elsewhere but i'll ask here again - How do I share the address book between users? Without using .Mac. Also is it possible to do the same for iCal so that you can have a shared calendar that anyone can change?

I will probably have more questions sometime but answers to the above would put my mind at peace!

Thank you all. I'm grateful for any replies!

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    I might actually use this option for myself

Solution for OS X
    http://lifehacker.com/software/itune...ive-238296.php

Solution for windows
    http://lifehacker.com/software/itune...ork-230605.php

I looked into it before but only found the windows one in the past

Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    You could just as well store that library on the root of the drive, or maybe an external drive/partition. Wouldn't that work?

OK thanks for the responses. I need to look into that first one. And to goobimama - what do you mean to store it on the root of the drive?

This may not comply with your situation, but heres an idea....use 1 account for everyone you want sharing that stuff.

This seems like the easiest way to get what you want done, done.

Specs:
    Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
    Ok heres what you can do, navigate to your iTunes folder click it once and than press Command and i at the same time, then check the option that says "shared folder".
    Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.

Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    I mean, instead of keeping the folders in the "Machintosh HD > Users > Shared and so on" how about keeping it in the "Mac HD > Music" folder? Of course you will have to create that folder, but it is accessible to all..

Quote Originally Posted by godfatherrr View Post
    This may not comply with your situation, but heres an idea....use 1 account for everyone you want sharing that stuff.

This seems like the easiest way to get what you want done, done.
    Yes I have thought about that, but wouldn't have individual accounts then would I?

Ok heres what you can do, navigate to your iTunes folder click it once and than press Command and i at the same time, then check the option that says "shared folder".
    I have done that but only one user still has access to the folders inside the itunes music folder, and you cant change multiple items like all the artists at once. Maybe if I deleted all the music then put it on again since I have it on another computer. It was originally copied from one users music folder to the shared one so thats maybe why only that person has read/write access to everything inside the folder.

I mean, instead of keeping the folders in the "Machintosh HD > Users > Shared and so on" how about keeping it in the "Mac HD > Music" folder? Of course you will have to create that folder, but it is accessible to all..
    Get ya now. Might try that.

I just saved the tunes (not library or the xml files) onto shared and then set permissions through the 'get info' route and then both myself and parter added library when logged in - bob's your uncle, keep own settings but share all tunes. of course coth accounts are logged in as one owner

Gosh I must sound so dumb but what do you mean you are logged in as the same owner? And is the library and xml files like the information it stores or something, like it tells itunes whats in your library/playlist info etc? That sounds exactly like what I want to set up.

Does anyone have any ideas about my other questions??

Thread Information