Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    Serious Shortcuts Issue
    Hi Everyone,

    Ok, so since I got my new iMac, I have had some major issues with the shortcuts.

    If I go into system preferences > keyboard and mouse > keyboard shortcuts, I get a list some of the keyboard shortcuts.

    On this list, it states clearly that the "Dashboard" is allocated to shortcut key "F12". Simple enough really...well no its not, because it doesn't work..at all. What actually happens when I press f12, is that it bring up the volume control. Not really the dashboard now is it apple? There is an image dictating volume on this key on my keyboard however, so I am guessing that this is somehow hardwired into the OS? Its not so much the dashboard in particular, as I can get to it by pressing F4 (why there are two keys set to do the exact same thing as the machine comes from the factory is beyond me), its more getting it to work in general. I have also been able to assign shortcuts to the blank keys on my keyboard, like F5, F6, F16 etc.

    In the keyboard shortcuts list, does anyone know why there is not a complete list of shortcuts in there? I know there are a good few shortcuts they have left out..for whatever reason, god only knows. For example I'm pretty sure there is a shortcut to open the applications folder directly..isnt this a keyboard shortcut? If so, wouldn't it make sense to have it in keyboard shortcuts!?

    I would be particularly interested in being able to assign a shortcut key that would allow me to open my web browser. So I would press say f-16, and firefox would pop open. Or if I could re-assign existing shortcuts, like press f-17 and the finder pop open. None of these are in the shortcuts list so any help here would be appreciated.

    Thanks for your help in advance

  2. #2

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    just to add,

    I'm running the latest version of Leopard. Other tech specs shouldn't really matter here.

    Thanks.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2004
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by slinki View Post
    just to add,

    I'm running the latest version of Leopard. Other tech specs shouldn't really matter here.
    Might, if you have a laptop and a function key. Try the function key and F12. (Just a guess, because I have never used a laptop.)

  4. #4

    The Vindicat3d's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 05, 2007
    Posts
    985
    Specs:
    Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
    if you are using a notebook F4 is the key to activate dashboard
    Use the Rep System!!

    Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.

  5. #5

    The Vindicat3d's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 05, 2007
    Posts
    985
    Specs:
    Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
    removed
    Use the Rep System!!

    Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.

  6. #6

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
    Might, if you have a laptop and a function key. Try the function key and F12. (Just a guess, because I have never used a laptop.)
    As I stated in the very first line of my query, I have an iMac. Can you get a laptop called an iMac? I've never seen one if you can! Anywho, thanks for the tip! I'l remember it if I ever get an apple laptop

  7. #7

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vindicat3d View Post
    if you are using a notebook F4 is the key to activate dashboard
    lol...didnt really read my post did ya?

    I neither have a notebook (seems like "iMac" looks like "notebook" in this thread), nor do I want to activate the dashboard. In fact I have even written in MY post that F4 activates the dashboard! lol!

    Looking forward to your replies

  8. #8

    The Vindicat3d's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 05, 2007
    Posts
    985
    Specs:
    Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
    Ok now that I have actually read your post I see what's going on... if your using an apple keyboard which i assume you are you can see that the F_ keys have little pictures on them, such as the F4 key which has a picture of the Dashboard logo on it and so thats what it is set to do, if you want them to do what they say in keyboard shortcuts and not what's painted on them go to system preferences>keyboard and mouse>keyboard and check off the box that says "Use all F1 F2 etc. keys as standard function keys"
    Use the Rep System!!

    Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.

  9. #9

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vindicat3d View Post
    Ok now that I have actually read your post I see what's going on... if your using an apple keyboard which i assume you are you can see that the F_ keys have little pictures on them, such as the F4 key which has a picture of the Dashboard logo on it and so thats what it is set to do, if you want them to do what they say in keyboard shortcuts and not what's painted on them go to system preferences>keyboard and mouse>keyboard and check off the box that says "Use all F1 F2 etc. keys as standard function keys"
    Excellent, thanks! This answers one of my questions perfectly. Seems really obvious, can't believe I didn't notice that check box by myself

    Thanks

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Nov 30, 2007
    Posts
    90
    When you use the shortcuts, do you have any programs open? If so minimize your programs and click on the background twice. Than use the shortcut you would like. It will then work. (It took me a while to figure this one out. When I first got my apple.)

  11. #11

    slinki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 14, 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    144
    Specs:
    24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by kc0ngg View Post
    When you use the shortcuts, do you have any programs open? If so minimize your programs and click on the background twice. Than use the shortcut you would like. It will then work. (It took me a while to figure this one out. When I first got my apple.)
    Hey,

    Na I tried this straight away but thanks.

  12. #12

    The Vindicat3d's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 05, 2007
    Posts
    985
    Specs:
    Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
    Oh and if you want the F_ keys to do what the logo says and maybe just sometimes use the F_ keys and standard function keys you can always press and hold the fn key and then press a function key.
    Use the Rep System!!

    Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.

  13. #13

    Gaz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    49
    Specs:
    24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz
    To explanation as to why that happened. All new Mac's are shipped with the new keyboard, with these pictures on and as part of the hardware it automatically takes over the f1 to f12 keys, as you have found out you can turn that off. The older apple keyboards didn't have any such pictures let alone function keys up to 19.
    So apple have left the default shortcuts in the shortcuts panel for the older keyboard, as well as move advanced users being able to turn off there current ones.

    oh and to add an app to a key, just scroll to the bottom of the list, click on applications, then on the + just to the left, choose your app and your shortcut, and off you go pressing keys.
    24" iMac 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 580GB EHDD, Firewave, 7.1 Sound System. Mac Mini 2.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, 2.1 Sound System, 19" LCD Flat Screen Monitor, EyeTV with Miglia Mini. Apple TV 160GB.iPod Mini Blue 6GB

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Dec 28, 2007
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by slinki View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    Ok, so since I got my new iMac, I have had some major issues with the shortcuts.

    If I go into system preferences > keyboard and mouse > keyboard shortcuts, I get a list some of the keyboard shortcuts.

    On this list, it states clearly that the "Dashboard" is allocated to shortcut key "F12". Simple enough really...well no its not, because it doesn't work..at all. What actually happens when I press f12, is that it bring up the volume control.
    Go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES>EXPOSE AND SPACES (if you have 10.5) and you will have the option to change the function key that brings up Dashboard.

    For what it's worth, if you look to the top of that preference window, you will see that they give you the option to program HOT CORNERS. I personally have set Dashboard to the bottom left corner and ALL WINDOWS to the top right corner. Throw your mouse pointer in the desired direction etc..

    Try it, and give it some time.. works well for me

  15. #15

    The Vindicat3d's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 05, 2007
    Posts
    985
    Specs:
    Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
    How do i set a key to open an application?
    Use the Rep System!!

    Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New user:preferred networks issue:clock issue:mail issue
    By Snooky in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 04:27 PM
  2. How to use these shortcuts?
    By solidgold5 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 05:32 PM
  3. Shortcuts?
    By jeffsapple in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 02:34 AM
  4. Shortcuts
    By berrill in forum iOS and Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 04:19 PM
  5. Shortcuts
    By mogwi in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2006, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •