New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Which imac should I get?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emmejuice

emmejuice is on a distinguished road

The two I'm looking at-

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-500...dcs8bj/34.?p=0
plus wireless keyboard and mouse

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MA759LL-...H0G86Q009Y2ACX

I heard that the screen on the new ones isn't as good, but I don't really know anything about that.

I want Leopard, and I understand that the imac on amazon doesn't come with it, but that I can somehow buy it for $9.99? If anybody knows anything about that, info would be great. I'm wondering if the install disk they send has 3 installs on it, like it would if you bought Leopard separately. I also have a macbook that wants Leopard very badly [=

I go to an online school, and play the sims 2 with tons of custom content. Those are the main things I do with my computer, and the new screen on the imac is making me nervous because it might not work [very well] with the sims 2.

The computers are the same price... Free shipping for both as well.

Thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

The first link doesn't work it takes me to a "session has timed out screen." If you are comparing a new imac to the previous gen please let us know the specs you are looking at on the top link.
QUOTE Thanks
emmejuice

Yeah, its the new imac that looks sleek, compared to the old white model.

I'm just getting a basic imac-

* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 250GB hard drive1
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory

I think that ones got the same specs as the amazon one...
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Those are the main things I do with my computer, and the new screen on the imac is making me nervous because it might not work [very well] with the sims 2.
The new screen is glossy, which has no effect on how well games work.

The 2400XT isn't great for newer games, but older ones like Sims 2 will be fine. If you think you'll be playing some other games though, I really recommend you get the HD2600 2.4Ghz model.
QUOTE Thanks
emmejuice

The thing is- I play the sims 2 with 7,000 pieces of custom content and six expansion packs. So it's huge, and I wish I could play it with the highest graphics settings but I think it'll go slow if I do. I read on the sims forum that people were having compatibility issues with the new sleek imac. Things were flashing blue =/
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

The LCD on the 24" is far nicer than the one on the 20" when comparing the Aluminum iMacs. I had a Core Duo iMac 20" 2GHz version. I liked it but I sold it for my current machine.
As for the link to the Ai Mac, it won't work for us because it is to the educational part of the Apple store. You had to sign in to get there.
I would say, it sounds like you will need to get an iMac with the 256MB video card.
But yea, the only difference between the two is the video card, besides the obvious differences in the case and glossy vs matte LCD.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac firmware question | Double Dock Items HELP »