New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Long time PC user making the switch...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

Just wanting to drop in and say... Hi!!!

Long time PC user. Started with computers with a Commodore 64. Also learned to program on mainframe applications a long, long time ago... (back in the days when you had card punchers, card readers, and had to manually load your compiler by card reader). I've since used several PCs and operating systems, all Windows, including NT4, ME, 2000, and a current piece of junk at work called Microsoft Server 2003. The only Mac I used for a short time was a CP/M based Apple, and that was also a long time ago.

In any case, my last PC recently decided to do like a flash bang and literally blew up. I believe the power supply went, and unfortunately, took the motherboard with it. I made the decision a few weeks after to migrate to a 20" iMac 2.4GHz with two gigs of memory, and a Western Digital My Book external hard drive to enable Time Machine.

Life is good! ;-)

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Life will get even better when you find that you're no longer wasting time on maintaining your machine and actually using it.

Congrats on the switch!

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cdnphotog

cdnphotog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?

welcome! I just recently switched (like 4 days ago) as well (we even have the same iMac) you should find what you're looking for here.. it's helped me out quite a bit!
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

Welcome, and you will find you will start enjoying using computers....
QUOTE Thanks
vank66

vank66 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD

Hi, Welcome to the forum,all your questions will be answered here. I have same setup as yours minus the Externel Hd, I love it, as an ex PC user , can state I'll never go back-Good Luck with your new syatem. Van
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

What was your issue with Windows Server 2003? That is a pretty stable platfom if you take the time to use good hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonegod View Post
What was your issue with Windows Server 2003? That is a pretty stable platfom if you take the time to use good hardware.
Unfortunately, we don't. We are currently using Windows Server 2003 on a thin client platform. Our preferences change almost on a daily basis, my coworkers have to go hunting for their saved links and documents all the time. And the system is painfully slow, unstable and unreliable. Often, it takes 2-3 minutes to print a document. It is so bad, that we were told more than once to log off the computers that our clients use to do their work and research out so that staff could use their terminals. The emphasis is obviously on securing the system to the point that it is practically locked out... even to it's intended end users.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

rixx03 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

Congrats on the switch! I'm pretty sure you would love it very much, since you won't bother with system maintenance as much as you did with PC's.

And, welcome to Mac Forums! Enjoy your stay!

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
|| WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
|| iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||
QUOTE Thanks
jamesdmc

jamesdmc is on a distinguished road

Can I join the party too? My 24" 2.4GHz iMac arrived on Christmas eve, but I waited patiently until Christmas Day to open it. I spent a good portion of yesterday getting to know it. I'm not a Windows hater because I've never had an unstable PC in my home. In fact, I ordered Parallels and Windows XP before I even ordered my mac. I just happened to wander into an Apple store at the mall one Saturday and it was love at first sight. Once I found out macs could run Windows too, I was sold (why limit yourself when you can have the best of both worlds?) Anyway, just thought I'd join the lovefest too.

James
QUOTE Thanks
ramadhana

ramadhana is on a distinguished road

welcome to the club bro... mac will make you smarter or on some case, look smarter

|Macbook White 1.83 Ghz | 512mb Ram, 80gb HDD, Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.10, Bootcamp 1.4 Windows XP SP 2
.//In Mac We TRUST
QUOTE Thanks
Morrolan

Morrolan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, 500Gb Iomega ext. HDD for Time Machne

I also have recently switched (20th December, from now known as i-day in my calendar) and I also went for the same setup - 20", 2.4Ghz C2D with 2Gb RAM and 320Gb HDD. I was also seriously considering buying a Western Digital 500Gb MyBook from a store near me, but because Apple screwed up my order online I decided to visit the local (40 miles away) apple store and boughtvmy iMac there, and they gave me 10% on any additional purchases because of the error

Got to say, even though I had a bit of a bad experience (hey, things like this happen from time to time!) I was shocked when they gave me a 10% discount on anything else I wanted (single use though) as my experience hadn't really been that bad - just an accidental delay of a week.

I love OSX in the short time I've been using it, my iMac is just sexy, loving the keyboard, getting used to the mouse (I like it default style in OS X but 2 button in games, which is a bit awkward). Had one or two glitches like my Dashboard stopped working (fixed it - permissions issue on a Managed account for my son caused it - bit weird but no lasting damage) and a missing icon for a currently mounted volume (yes I checked Finder preferences and external drives are on).

Besides that, welcome to the club! I think that I'm now the 2nd newest person and not the newest

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread, just wanted to say - You're not alone in the switch!

Cheers,
The other new guy.
QUOTE Thanks
drh3010

drh3010 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post
... Started with computers with a Commodore 64...
My first was a Commodore 64 too. I miss Archon and Jumpman. But I loved being able to navigate anywhere on the screen to change lines of code in Basic. Eventhough I'd forget to hit 'Return' occasionally after changing a line.
QUOTE Thanks
mikepugs

mikepugs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard

Welcome to the dark side...

..only everything is nice and white and clean...

l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine drive mounted and working, but no Desktop Icon? | apple store Qs »