New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

well PAINT MY LITTLE RED WAGON PINK

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cdnphotog

cdnphotog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?

My husband came home yesterday with an iMac for me (saves me from buying one in the new year So I am in iMac heaven right now (can't get over the simplicty/ease of it all!!!)

few questions (which I couldn't find answers to--some I did like dock info)

is there a copy/cut/paste feature on here?

really dumb question what's the apple key? is that the command key?

my adobe programs (lightroom & photoshop) are they transferable or do I need to get a mac license? please tell me I don't have to buy one?

That's it for now (pretty simple right) I'm sure there will be more info down the road.

oh & anyone have a blue ethernet cord they can loan me LOL I seem to have lost mine *eye roll* would love to start transfering over my files!!

eta
mine came with the disk to upgrade to leopard...should I or should I wait a few more months?
QUOTE Thanks
aarnclayt

aarnclayt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83 GHz intel c2d, 2gb ram, xp and os x.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnphotog View Post
My husband came home yesterday with an iMac for me (saves me from buying one in the new year So I am in iMac heaven right now (can't get over the simplicty/ease of it all!!!)

few questions (which I couldn't find answers to--some I did like dock info)

is there a copy/cut/paste feature on here?

really dumb question what's the apple key? is that the command key?

my adobe programs (lightroom & photoshop) are they transferable or do I need to get a mac license? please tell me I don't have to buy one?

That's it for now (pretty simple right) I'm sure there will be more info down the road.

oh & anyone have a blue ethernet cord they can loan me LOL I seem to have lost mine *eye roll* would love to start transfering over my files!!

eta
mine came with the disk to upgrade to leopard...should I or should I wait a few more months?
1) & 2) copy and paste - [command/apple] + [x (cut), c (copy), z (paste)]

can't help you with the others. I'm still running Tiger and probably will be for a while.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Copy/Cut/Paste as you know it on the PC does not exist on the Mac. You can Copy & Paste or Cut, not all 3.

Apple (Command) + C = Copy

Apple (Command) + V = Paste

I'm not sure about the Adobe stuff, but I don't think it is. I could be wrong though, lets hope I am.

I have a bunch of 8 foot Blue E-Net cables, but you have to come get it....

QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Dunno whether Adobe offers a platform-switch deal. If not, you could run Boot Camp, XP (Vista?) and the Windows versions.

I'm a member of the philosophers' school that says never run software with a version number ending in .0 or the first iteration of it, no matter the number especially when it's an entire system.
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

If I remember correctly, Adobe will allow you to switch platforms for licensed products up to three times. You should contact them to find out how you go about doing it.

It's probably best to do an erase and install with Leopard. There is no better time to do that than when the computer is new.

There's no sense in setting up your accounts/preferences and transferring all of your data only to erase it with a clean install in a few weeks or months.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
mshale

mshale is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5

I'm not a networking professional, but wouldn't you need a crossover ethernet cable to get your file switching done like that?

One does what one can... but together we can do more.
QUOTE Thanks
cdnphotog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshale View Post
I'm not a networking professional, but wouldn't you need a crossover ethernet cable to get your file switching done like that?
hence the blue cord LOL

Thanks for the quick answers guys! much appreciated!!
QUOTE Thanks
cdnphotog

sorry about the "swear" I made an oopsie..I was too excited LOL but I do like the new edited title LMAO
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

You can get crossover cables at any office supply or electronics stores. They aren't necessarily blue. I have an orange one.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
jsgreen

jsgreen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram

Yellow cables are faster, by the way
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
Yellow cables are faster, by the way
Color means nothing

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Color means nothing
But my black Mustang GT was faster than my green Renault Dauphin.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Actually, you don't need a crossover cable with a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac View Post
Actually, you don't need a crossover cable with a Mac.
Thank you. I was going to say that.

QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Thank you. I was going to say that.
Just one of the perks right.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« reformatting and installing with someone else's mac osx discs | Time Machine question: about formatting »