New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sound issues in Boot Camp to Windows on a new iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pewari

Pewari is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz iMac with 3GB RAM

Hi guys - great forum, I'm learning so much just by lurking and getting the daily thread subscription.

I'm loving my iMac (bought just as Leopard came out) but I do have one minor niggle, and I wonder if I'm just missing something obvious to sort it out.

I've got boot camp set up with Windows XP. When I'm in it, the sound quality is very poor with lots of noise and distorted sound. This goes away when I put headphones in the jack and listen through there. However, in MacOSX I have no sound problems and I haven't noticed any when using the VMware Fusion route into Windows either (although to be fair, I can't run the games in question via Fusion so it might be there and just not noticed).

I'm guessing from that, that it's not a hardware issue but a windows driver issue, but I'm reluctant to mess around with the drivers without really knowing what I'm doing in case I majorly botch something up. Have I diagnosed correctly, is there a solution now, or is it a case of wait and hope that a systems update will fix the drivers in the near future?

Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
brian67

brian67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1

you need to update the sound card drivers
QUOTE Thanks
cgchambers

cgchambers is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5

Did you pull the updates from Apples website, or were they on the Windows Update site? Having the same issue with my Mac Pro

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
brian67

I got them from the realtek site. Heres the LINK
QUOTE Thanks
Pewari

Thank you Was previously wary of getting the drivers as I did wonder if they had to be Apple specific and if I was going to break anything in the process.

The latest Realtek ones (1.83) seem to have removed the hiss, but the sound still seems fairly poor quality (almost slightly muffled and flat as if you were listening to it through glass or something). Is this as good as it gets on Windows? Or is it a case of tweaking the equaliser somehow (and is there an ideal setting to put that on?). I find that it's really loud too so have to have the master volume on windows down really low otherwise I get deafened by the windows startup jingle!

Such a shame, because the sound is so *good* on the Mac side! Still, just another incentive to get as many OS X versions of software as possible, I guess!
QUOTE Thanks
brian67

Bring up the realtek HD audio EQ and choose ROCK as the preset.
QUOTE Thanks
Pewari

That's improved it a bit, thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1 library, 2 ipods, 1 iMac | Dashboard Reset »