New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

NTFS R/W on Macs...Need help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dcwang3

dcwang3 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys

Just bought a Macbook Pro, love the thing to death but the problem is the NTFS read and write. I bought the Paragon NTFS for Macs, and it works fine with the partitions of Mac and Windows (from boot camp), but when I plug in my lacie hard drive (formatted in NTFS), it does not want to copy that data on to the Mac hard drive, but it will copy data from the Mac onto the lacie hard drive...(hopefully that wasn't confusing).

Any suggestions?

Are there any other programs that can subside this situation, I heard of Macfuse but I know it's more of a source code that has to be manipulated or something like that.

PLease help, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
smartyMAC

smartyMAC will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,

Really confused!!!! What exactly is not working
QUOTE Thanks
dcwang3

that my lacie hard drive will not copy data to my Mac hard drive, but I am able to write from my Mac hard drive to the lacie hard drive....

it says "there is a problem with the file and cannot be copied"

and that happens with every file
QUOTE Thanks
JDnMac

JDnMac is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, first post - I was wondering the same thing and found this article on Apple's support site. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306907
It says the 10.5.1 update to Leopard resolves issues with NTFS formatted drives. I have not connected my ED or started Time Machine (just got my iMac on Tuesday!). I will set it all up this weekend and post my results. dcwang3, not sure what version of OSX you're running but upgrading may solve the issue.

JD
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

dcwang3: OS X can read NTFS but not write to it. Now this Paragon NTFS seems to have gotten things a bit warped, and has done exactly the opposite. So what you can do is just uninstall/disable Paragon, however that is possible, and copy data off your NTFS drive to the Mac internal.
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

That you can write to the drive suggests that it is working well enough, but since you can't read existing files, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that it is a permissions issue.

If you get the info for either the NTFS drive, or for individual files & folders on it, can you verify that you have read/write access? Obviously, you've got it for files that you want to create, but I'm thinking that the MAc doesn't think you own the files you are trying to copy.

Good luck,
Perry

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
dcwang3

yeah well, I have leopard and updated to 10.5.1

I tested Paragon NTFS with my Sandisk Mini Cruzer flash drive (1 gb), and it works perfect. Can read and Write...So I'm thinking that I may have to reformat my lacie hard drive to confirm that it is indeed the hard drive and not the program
QUOTE Thanks
dcwang3

also, when I uninstalled Paragon NTFS, and plugged the lacie hard drive in, it worked perfectly...I was able to copy stuff from the lacie on to the Mac desktop without any problems (like above)

So that's another thing to take into consideration
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Did you format the Lacie drive with Vista? Vista formatted NTFS drives can give a bit of trouble on Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
dcwang3

no, it was originally formatted to NTFS by Windows XP Pro w/Sp2
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDnMac View Post
Hi guys, first post - I was wondering the same thing and found this article on Apple's support site. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306907
It says the 10.5.1 update to Leopard resolves issues with NTFS formatted drives. I have not connected my ED or started Time Machine (just got my iMac on Tuesday!). I will set it all up this weekend and post my results. dcwang3, not sure what version of OSX you're running but upgrading may solve the issue.

JD
Welcome to Mac-Forums, JDnMac!

And welcome to the Mac platform.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is Best MAC Antivirus Program? | Leopard mail or Thunderbird? »