View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What made you decide to switch to Mac?
    What made you decided to switch to Mac? Share your stories!!
    24" iMac + 13" MacBook Pro + 16GB White iPhone 3G = iMBroke!

none of the above.

just had been interested for a long time, my 17" HP pavillion laptop died about 14-15 months ago, and a 13" core duo macbook was it's replacement.

i have fallen in love with OS X and plan on getting an imac (probably used) sometime in the future to replace my wife's 15" pavillion laptop and for some light gaming and just to have a larger screen when necessary.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

For me, it was due to Windows Vista. When Vista came out, I was in the market for a gaming PC, so on the day Vista was released I went to Futureshop and bought a HP PC. While in the store, after I paid for it, I will have take it to the tech for them to throw a patch on it because it was not done in factory so I had to wait till the next day to get my computer.

Within 6 months I have to bring my computer into FS to get it repair and they cannot replaced a part! Also, things crashes here and there at times, which was really annoying when I was playing Rainbow 6 Las Vegas it would crash every so often. So when school was about to start back in Sept, I wanted to get a new small laptop than what my school issued us (a gigantic Toshiba "laptop") so I looked at FutureShop and again... of course all the "laptop" they pump out now a days comes with Vista and they are HUGE! I even looked a Dell. Then I remember my friend have a nice and tiny portable black macbook, asked him to show me the macbook again... and boom I got myself sold to a white macbook for school (of course I also did my research on here and other mac forums).
    24" iMac + 13" MacBook Pro + 16GB White iPhone 3G = iMBroke!

Specs:
    White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
    None of the above.

Unix.
    Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
    Integrate me. Differentiate me.
    You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
    I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.

Specs:
    Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
    I got one because at the time it was the only way to load up an Ipod.

That was quite an expensive day, I seem to recall

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    None of the above.
    I just quit using my Windows computer when I moved last year. When I heard Intel Macs could run Windows, I figured it'd be dumb not to buy a Mac. I liked OS X because it ran smoother but I wasn't too familiar with it beyond the shortcuts they teach you when learning photoshop.
    Buying a Mac gave me an out because I thought if I had run into problems learning OS X, I could keep using Windows no problem. I bought a MacBook and have only touched Windows once and that's because I wanted to play a video game. I have PS3 now, so looks like bye bye Windows forever.
    I haven't never tried Vista. Is it as bad as everyone makes it seem?

January 2008 Member of the Month

Specs:
    17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
    Unix.

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    I never switched, I grew up on them.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Specs:
    MacBook
    I never "switched". I have used Macs (since 1985) longer than the Windows OS (since 1993?).

I don't think anyone should "switch" one OS for another. Windows machines have their good points, just like Macs have theirs.
    Use the best machine for the job at hand and don't limit yourself to using only one kind of machine.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    I never "switched". I have used Macs (since 1985) longer than the Windows OS (since 1993?).

I don't think anyone should "switch" one OS for another. Windows machines have their good points, just like Macs have theirs.
    Use the best machine for the job at hand and don't limit yourself to using only one kind of machine.
    If you define crash for no good reason a job PC's are good at doing, I can see your point. Kidding aside, I use XP at work. I think the program we use for order entry is Unix based, only a handful of people get to use a Mac at work. I get a 450MHz Dell that takes 5 minutes to load every morning. Woo! But it does let me use Office the way I am familiar. I have never tried Office for Mac (I assume the OS X version isn't an exact port.)

January 2008 Member of the Month

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post

I have always use Apple products at home, and windows at work.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    13" MacBook - White
    Couldn't stand my PC anymore. I played around with my friend's brand new 20" iMac and fell in love. I'd go on with how I think the 13" MacBook I'll have shortly is so much better than this PC, but that is beside the point.
    www.LittleGuyNetw0rk.net
    "We Revolve Around Communities!"

Specs:
    Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
    Quote Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
    If you define crash for no good reason a job PC's are good at doing, I can see your point. Kidding aside, I use XP at work. I think the program we use for order entry is Unix based, only a handful of people get to use a Mac at work. I get a 450MHz Dell that takes 5 minutes to load every morning. Woo! But it does let me use Office the way I am familiar. I have never tried Office for Mac (I assume the OS X version isn't an exact port.)
    I use OSX and Windows. I'm a Windoze admin during the day, and have just Mac at home. I don't really have a preference, but I don't see the harm in knowing more than 1 OS, so I'm happy with this setup.

Office for Mac has a lot of similarities and a lot of differences.

Comparing Office XP and 2004 for Mac, Word and Excel are more or less identical, but 2004 Mac doesn't have access or Outlook. It has something called entourage, which I think is the equivalent to Outlook but I have never used it so I can't say. I think they both have powerpoint, but I have never used that on either version, so again I can't compare.

I don't know about the more recent versions.

I havent switched yet, but when I do get a mac it is for none of those reasons. working in creative fields practically require you to know macs and their software, despite being able to do everything on a pc anyway. I currently run an xp desktop and vista laptop. Between them, I have photoshop CS3, premiere pro 2, after effects 7, sony acid pro 6, and autodesk maya 8. But since I dont know final cut or work with macs, no one seems to want to hire me for video work. Otherwise, I have had virtually no issues with any windows computers I have ever worked with (except my mom's poor treatment of her WinME computer, but ME was trash).

2 things made me switch. The 05/06 imac caught my attention but I was also in need of a new computer. I have never used a mac before but I thought I'd give it a shot and I'm glad I did.

Thread Information