New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can anyone explain this Retail/Restore disk stuff?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wabbit

Wabbit is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
As I understood it, the grey restore disks were machine specific, ie if it said "G5 PowerMac" on the disk, it would restore a G5 PowerMac. On the other hand, a black disk with a silver cross would restore or install to ANY machine as long as the specs were OK.
So how come I bought some disks on eBay last week (auction number #160185963561) which seemed to be the Retail, black version but turned out to be grey disks specific to an eMac which faultlessly loaded Panther on my G3 Blue and White PowerMac?

PowerMac G3 B/W @ 400 Mhz, 512meg Ram and 80 gig HDD running OS X 10.3.9 with 42" monitor
QUOTE Thanks
Z1GMA

Z1GMA is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: old blue imac with mac osx 10.3.9

this is my guess,
remember its a guess but i think emac is panther so it installed panther on there since it was a false advertised disk or it was a wrong disk just a guess
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
Hi Guys,
As I understood it, the grey restore disks were machine specific, ie if it said "G5 PowerMac" on the disk, it would restore a G5 PowerMac. On the other hand, a black disk with a silver cross would restore or install to ANY machine as long as the specs were OK.
So how come I bought some disks on eBay last week (auction number #160185963561) which seemed to be the Retail, black version but turned out to be grey disks specific to an eMac which faultlessly loaded Panther on my G3 Blue and White PowerMac?
Just a guess, but I would venture to say that the hardware is similar enough between the two machines that it works.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

First off, you got duped into paying a lot more than you should have. Not to mention that the discs you purchased were never intended to be sold on their own.
This is why I generally stay away from ebay.

Secondly, the discs for eMacs are the only ones that have ever worked in other machines. The reason I was given by someone once, was since the eMac was really intended for schools, the discs were "unlocked" so they could be used on any machine in the school, regardless of form factor. I guess it was supposed to make it easier for the school's IT guys to take care of things. I don't know the validity of this reasoning, but I do know that the eMac discs were the only ones to work in other machines. This did eventually change and not all of the eMac models' discs work that way.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Kernel Panic | How do you add a folder to your dock? »