Thread: managing cd-rw

managing cd-rw
    Hello again
    Can someone tell me how i can manage a cd-rw, i.e. add docs, delete docs, etc.. The cd was originally created in windows and it is able to be adapted from there but when i try to delete or add items in OSX it says i do not have sufficient priviledge or the cd could not be modified.
    It won't even let me erase the entire cd in disk utility??
    All help welcome
    Thanks

iSheep
    With CD-RW, you can't actually just write onto them and off them like a floppy disc or hard drive (unless you use some crazy software). When Windows 're-writes' a disc, it copies everything on it, adds the bit you want, and then puts it all back on the disc - you just never notice it because Windows likes to hide things.

alanramsay
    Exclamation A bit Ridiculous is it not?
    Quote Originally Posted by iSheep
    With CD-RW, you can't actually just write onto them and off them like a floppy disc or hard drive (unless you use some crazy software). When Windows 're-writes' a disc, it copies everything on it, adds the bit you want, and then puts it all back on the disc - you just never notice it because Windows likes to hide things.
    But surely there is some way of easily (and without paying for software) doing the same thing on Mac as in Windows? (whatever way it actually happens, the effect is like a really big floppy) if not, that's a really stupid oversight by Apple. does anone know how or where to get a utility for it? Why do they label the drive RW if the OS doesnt support that?

Alan

m1k
    Try disk utility (built into Mac OS X, browse Applications and you'll find it). It allows you to erase CD-RWs.

iSheep
    Mac OS X allows you to do everything that Windows does, it just does it without hiding things from you.

alanramsay
    Quote Originally Posted by iSheep
    Mac OS X allows you to do everything that Windows does, it just does it without hiding things from you.
    Thanks for the help guys. that works for me.
    It does seem like a decidedly unsexy way of doing it compared with the drag and drop you have in windows once its formatted. Yes maybe Windows is really copying and Pasting in the background but it does it rather efficiently while requiring me to do nothing. I quite like that.
    Dont misunderstand me, i love most of the Mac interface and the hardware design, own a Powerbook and love it but they're not perfect like the myth would have us all believe, which is a let-down.

Alan

iSheep
    Quote Originally Posted by alanramsay
    Thanks for the help guys. that works for me.
    It does seem like a decidedly unsexy way of doing it compared with the drag and drop you have in windows once its formatted. Yes maybe Windows is really copying and Pasting in the background but it does it rather efficiently while requiring me to do nothing. I quite like that.
    Dont misunderstand me, i love most of the Mac interface and the hardware design, own a Powerbook and love it but they're not perfect like the myth would have us all believe, which is a let-down.

Alan
    I was quite surprised as well, I expected there to be a button in iTunes as well, but there isn't. I'm sure there's a good reason for this; perhaps Apple think that the Disc Utility is an all right method to go about it, who knows?

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    You should try FireStarter FX. its great, you can copy all sorts of stuff, and erase with it too.Get it here .it works really well, Ill post a screenshot of the erase media sction.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information