Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    MacBook Pro 1.83ghz newbie...Ram question

    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Posts
    24
    MacBook Pro 1.83ghz newbie...Ram question
    Just purchased a used MBP 1.83 ghz w/ 512mb ram off of ebay (have not received the MBP yet) but I am already interested in upgrading the ram.

    Here are my plans for the MBP: Install Leopard 10.5, install Winblows XP (for work application) and VMWare Fusion.

    I always think "more is better", so is 4gb (2X2gb) mushkin ram sufficient, not enough, or overkill? I assume there are 2 memory slots for the 2x ram, correct?

    Newegg.com has this ram for $130 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146697

    Is this ram sufficient, and is this a good price, or is there a better alternative?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    MacBook Pro 1.83ghz newbie...Ram question
    godfatherrr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 22, 2007
    Location
    VA, US
    Posts
    146
    that is a really good price for the ram, but you need to provide more info for us to answer the "overkill or sufficient" question. Personally for me it would be overkill, but i'd be prepared for the future.

    What do you use your computer for?

    What programs would you run, and what would you run all at the same time?

  3. #3
    MacBook Pro 1.83ghz newbie...Ram question
    Sgt Beavis's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 18, 2006
    Posts
    285
    The 1.83Ghz MBP uses the Core Duo processor.

    It cannot use more than 2GB of RAM. Anything more is a waste of money.

    The Core2Duo can use up to 3GB or RAM you can put in 4GB and it will see it but a motherboard limitation prevents all 4GB from being addressed.

    Only the Santa Rosa based Core2Duo MBPs (release last July) can address 4GB of RAM.

    Don't waste your money. Get 2 x 1GB of SoDIMM.

  4. #4
    MacBook Pro 1.83ghz newbie...Ram question
    Mattlike's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,611
    Specs:
    Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post

    Don't waste your money. Get 2 x 1GB of SoDIMM.
    Yup.

  5. #5
    MacBook Pro 1.83ghz newbie...Ram question

    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
    The 1.83Ghz MBP uses the Core Duo processor.

    It cannot use more than 2GB of RAM. Anything more is a waste of money.

    The Core2Duo can use up to 3GB or RAM you can put in 4GB and it will see it but a motherboard limitation prevents all 4GB from being addressed.

    Only the Santa Rosa based Core2Duo MBPs (release last July) can address 4GB of RAM.

    Don't waste your money. Get 2 x 1GB of SoDIMM.
    Thanks, just what I needed to know...that will save me ~$70 (nice dinner for me and my better half) :^)-

  6. #6
    MacBook Pro 1.83ghz newbie...Ram question
    Cherokee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 19, 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by Derekb41 View Post
    Thanks, just what I needed to know...that will save me ~$70 (nice dinner for me and my better half) :^)-
    That's a week's worth of groceries for me and my better half!
    iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station

  7. #7
    MacBook Pro 1.83ghz newbie...Ram question

    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    That's a week's worth of groceries for me and my better half!
    lol. With 3 children under 4 yrs old, that is about a weeks worth of milk and diapers for us!! Groceries are extra! :^)-

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MacBook RAM (1.83GHz & 2.4GHz)
    By Beliblis in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 07:19 PM
  2. MB PRO 1.83ghz , question about remote program
    By HIGH_HEAT in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •