New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

About to switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

matt.guerilla

matt.guerilla is on a distinguished road

Hi,

After so many years with a PC I am about to take the plunge and buy an iMac. I do though still have some reservations, and although I don't think they will stop me getting a mac, it would be good to know the answers to my queries, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
  1. Can I use the built in iSight camera with Skype?
  2. Will I still be able to use Napster?
  3. Will by camcorder and digital camera work? (Both bought in last two years)
  4. Can I still do my banking online?

I just know I have some more concerns but these are all I can think of right now.

Hope you can help,

Matt
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I can answer the following

2, yes (edit: no - only their web streaming) But you could use Bootcamp to get around this
3, most likely they will just work without having to download drivers - just plug em in and see
4 Depends on the bank, give Safari a try, then Firefox, if both these fail get back to us.

... and turn on the mac firewall if you haven't already (unless your are already behind a routers firewall)
QUOTE Thanks
silverloop13

silverloop13 is on a distinguished road

I have a sony handycam thats around a year or so old. I bought my Mac Oct 21 and the camera will not work with the Mac. I ordered a firewire cable from Sony and hopefully Ill be able to use it then. If not my 900.00 camera is a paperweight.

I would take my camera to an Apple store and see if it will hook up with a Mac. I brought mine in and they told me I needed a firewire cable. But it wouldnt hurt to check.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.guerilla View Post
[*]Can I use the built in iSight camera with Skype?
Yes

Quote:
[*]Will I still be able to use Napster?
Someone else might help you on this one.

Quote:
[*]Will by camcorder and digital camera work? (Both bought in last two years)
Usually it should work. Which once are you talking about?

Quote:
[*]Can I still do my banking online?
Yep. There are several Banking Apps. available for OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Apart from Banking Apps, unless your bank requires you to use some special kind of software, you'll be fine - most banks give you access through the internet, i.e., a web browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox.

On the Mac, Safari or Firefox/Camino are browsers of choice, and should have no problems with your bank's website.

If your bank *does* require you to use special software (e.g. if they gave you a CD to install), you should check with them for a Mac version. A reasonable bank will provide Mac versions.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Ryan13

Ryan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really nice

Good luck with your switch!
QUOTE Thanks
matt.guerilla

matt.guerilla is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the help.

My camcorder is a sony DCR-SR32 and my digital camera is a fuji F10.

A few other questions: -

5 - Can I play divx and xvid files on the Mac (with bundles software - or at least free software)?
6 - Can I rip my DVD's to the hard drive?

kind regards,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
silverloop13

silverloop13 is on a distinguished road

Youll need a firewire for your Sony then. I just ordered one from sony and its about 40.00.

To rip DVDs to your HD youll need to download Handbrake. Im new to all this as well and I downloaded it yesterday and used it to rip my home movies so i can edit them in iMovie. It worked pretty well. I have a few kinks to work out but Im sure that wont be an issue.

Honestly the best thing Ive done throughout my switch was join this forum. No question is too stupid and people here have been more than helpful to me. I used to think that Mac users were nuts but its a great community and you will love your Mac.

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnJohn

JohnJohn is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi

1) Skype: I need to run the 2.7.0.49 Beta for a more stable Skype experience on Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« memory issue... | Ram/HDD upgrades »