New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook - Refurbished mac books as good as new?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Newmaccer

Newmaccer is on a distinguished road

hey, i was just wondering if refurbished mac books were as good as new ones and if they were upgradeable like the new ones? also, can new mac books burn dvd-r's?
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Enjoy!

T
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

KiwiJenn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

I also have a question in this area.

If a refurbished mac is worth getting, which will be at a lower cost than a brand new mac, what does refurbished mean? has it been repaired, parts replaced, etc

How reliable would a refurbished mac be compared to a brand new one worth say $200 more.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I would say equally to more reliable. Refurbished could mean a customer returned the product because they didn't like it. Apple will still need to inspect the computer and do all of its testing and replace the casing if the customer used it or scratched it or something. Refurbished means plenty of things.
I've bought 5 refurbished products from Apple in 2 years (an iPod mini, 40GB iPod 3G, MacBook, iMac, Mac Pro.) The only product I ever had an ounce of trouble with is the 3G iPod and they let me return it for full credit after having it for a month.
I've got extra FREE RAM when I purchased the Macbook and Mac Pro. The Macbook said it came with 512MB RAM and it came with 1GB. The Mac Pro said it came with 1GB RAM and it had 2GB installed.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
jacintosh

jacintosh can only hope to improve

I just purchased a refurbished MBP a little over a week ago, and it is absolutely flawless and works fantastic! Same warranty....everything identical...save for the extra bucks I would have had to pay.
QUOTE Thanks
The Waldorf Q

The Waldorf Q is on a distinguished road

I have two refurbished MacBook’s. One was in great shape and the other has needed some work, but has been fixed my apple for free. Both were in great physical condition and looked new.

If money is an issue I would recommend trying to get an education discount for a new one, because the new MacBooks have been upgraded and I don’t believe they are for sale as refurbs yet.

The Blue Letter - "We'll Cut Down the Trees and Names Our Streets After Them"
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

KiwiJenn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

Thanks for the info I've seen a refurbished iMac that would save me some money. I will have to check into it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« syncing folders between two computers | just got macbook what to do? »