New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

torrent problems...any ideas?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shelflife19

shelflife19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i have tried tomato torrent, transmission, just about everything, and i still cant get a good download speed. I can set the torrent to download on my mac and on my pc (same torrent) and my pc will jump for 40kbs to 400kbs going backa nd forth, and my mac will only download at 15 maybe 20kbs max, with aquisition, i can get a fairly good download speed on things i download off of therei'v seen it reach around 300kbs from downloading around 10 files at a time(and thats 300kbs combined from all the files downloading). Does anyone have any idea why download speeds are so different from pc.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_Daddy

Mac_Daddy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP w/4GB of Ram

shelflife,

Opera has a built in torrent client. The browser is just as fast or faster than Safari, Camino, Firefox, etc...

Just find a torrent you want to download and it will appear in the the 'Transfers' tab. I'm currently downloading 10 torrents and the speeds are excellent.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

I find the same speeds on PC as well as Mac, that is, the maximum my bandwidth allows. I've not configured anything.
QUOTE Thanks
shelflife19

i'll have to check out opera, firefox doesn't seem to work like it does on pc, slightly annoying, and i hate IE, and safari crashs everytime i visit the transmission torrent site, or a torrent download site, wont mention names.
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

do you have portforwarding enabled?
if you haven't maybe that's the problem...
you can usually do this in the router's settings.

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
shelflife19

either way, it shouldn;t effect a mac machine and not a pc machine.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelflife19 View Post
either way, it shouldn;t effect a mac machine and not a pc machine.
I have found some torrent clients seem to use different ports. I opened the port for one and it flew then tried another and no download would start. It wanted a different port. I am not really into Torrents but a few times I have needed one for a driver and an update. I also have worked with them to help people with their issues.

What has worked for me here the best on OSX is Azureus. Works every time and fast here anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
shelflife19

Azureus wouldn;t work for some reason, i'll have to try again when i get home to see if the firmware and new os x install did anything.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Removing Album Artwork? | What does "OS2 software" mean? »