New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Well, I went and did it.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

utilityart

utilityart is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac base

I am officially on my way to being a switcher. Today I ordered a 20" iMac base with Leopard and iWork 08 installed. It's supposed to ship within 3 days. I guess I need to ready the PC for transfer and then... I don't know sledge hammer.
What should I expect in the conversion?

Kevin
This space for rent.
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

just remember that your mac is not a windows machine, so learn to use it as a mac, other than that just enjoy it!

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

Good Point. It is really just changing habits and the way you are used to doing things.
Get used to dragging and dropping and Spring Loaded folders to move files around.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Oh

and get used to security, lack of viruses and an OS that doesn't need constant re-installs to keep things running smoothly

One tip when yoou get the new mac - turn its firewall on and have fun
QUOTE Thanks
utilityart

utilityart is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac base

Should I attempt to network the two to transfer all my old pictures and that kind of trash or should I just burn to CD? Since I have stuff seperated in folders how will that translate into iPhoto?

Kevin
This space for rent.
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

I started with one, then two and now three Mac's share our house - Me, wife and son. You won't be disappointed.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
spilio

spilio is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5

I recently switched, and don't trust external hard drives until you're sure they work with Leopard 100%. I lost a lot of large install files (that I didn't want to keep on my tiny 100GB MBP drive -- does anybody else remember when 1MB was a lot?), because of Leopard's hiccups. So keep your data someplace secure until your Mac is done with the shakedown cruise.

J
QUOTE Thanks
easyleopard

easyleopard is an unknown at this point

Welcome in a world of peace and productivity :-D
QUOTE Thanks
savanahrose

savanahrose is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" imac

Welcome to the mac world. I switched a year ago and have not looked back. I however have to use windows here at work. When I walk into the house mac welcomes me home. lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Browsers other than Safari, Firefox, & Opera | Buy a MacBook Pro or wait for a new release ? »