New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Multiple users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

krrinngy

krrinngy is on a distinguished road

I am a recent convert to the Mac generation (though I have to say that it was something I have been thinking about for almost an entire generation.)
Recently I took delivery of a new imac and have been really happy with it.
There was something which I was wondering if somebody could help me with though and that is the sharing of music and photos (and I imagine other files too) from one user to another on the same imac. I share the imac with my partner but can not give her access to our photos and music as they were loaded while I was logged on and am the principle administrator. I tried variuos configurations but to no avail.
It is probably a very simple thing but I could still use some help.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrinngy View Post
I was wondering if somebody could help me with though and that is the sharing of music and photos (and I imagine other files too) from one user to another on the same imac.
There's sharing and there's sharing ... do you want the other user to have full access to your library, to have the power to make changes etc? This would go for both the iTunes & iPhoto libraries ?

Sharing iTunes Library between multiple users on a single Mac

You can listen to another users iTunes library but I'm not sure if you can make any changes to the files ....

How to share a single iPhoto library for editing among multiple users.

How can two users share and access the same photo library?

The above links show two different ways to share an iPhoto library ...

To share files with other users on the same Mac you can use the Drop Box or Shared Folder as a means of passing on files/stuff to each other.

Each account has it's own Drop Box, which is found here: Macintosh HD ~> Users ~> YourUserAccount ~> Public ~> Drop Box.

The Shared folder is found here: Macintosh HD ~> Users ~> Shared

Anything put in the Shared folder is accessible from within any account. Anything put in a users Drop Box is only accessible by that user alone. In fact when you drop a file onto the Drop Box folder you will see a message alerting you to the fact that you have no permission to view the contents of that folder.

If the receiver of the file/s expects to modify the file/s in anyway then the original files Permissions will need to be changed to allow this modification.

To change the permissions of a file you need to perform a "Get Info" which is done by right-clicking on the file and choosing from the contextual menu.

In the "Get Info" window look right down the bottom and you will see the "Ownership & Permissions" section. Click the Details triangle to expand the section and this is where the permissions are altered to allow specific users certain access to any file.

Click on the padlock to make a change and enter your Admin name + password. Click the lock again once finished to lock the prefs up tight.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows User Getting a Mini | Can't find deleted photo! »