New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Blank Bootcamp OS selection screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

redsea

redsea is on a distinguished road

I am a new iMac owner and am really enjoying Leopard on my 24" iMac. I used Bootcamp assistant to create a windows partition for xp. When I reboot holding the option key with an external usb hard drive and external usb dvd burner attached, a blank white screen is displayed. I disconnected all external non apple usb devices, installed xp and rebooted. I can boot either Leopard or XP as long as I do not reconnect the usb drives. If the hd or burner are connected, I see the Windows and OS X operating system choices but the computer freezes after clicking enter and neither system will boot. I have removed the bootcamp partition and the system will boot quickly into Leopard will all external firewire and usb devices attached. Any help will be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

When you partitioned for Bootcamp, did you actually go into Windows and install all the drivers from the Leopard DVD?
After installing Windows, the job isn't done, so you'll get funny behaviour until you install the drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
kodiak1007

kodiak1007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 24" 2.8 ghz

I had the same problem. Found that using the arrow keys and pressing return worked for me .Hope it works for you. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
redsea

redsea is on a distinguished road

Yes I installed the Leopard drivers. If I disconnect all external usb devices the dual boot menu scren is displayed. When an external usb hard drive and or external usb dvd burner is connected, a totally blank white screen is displayed and the computer hangs.
QUOTE Thanks
kodiak1007

kodiak1007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 24" 2.8 ghz

Did you let Windows format the drive or boot camp? Windows has to format the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
bullittbob

bullittbob is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 20 inch 2.0Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea View Post
Yes I installed the Leopard drivers. If I disconnect all external usb devices the dual boot menu scren is displayed. When an external usb hard drive and or external usb dvd burner is connected, a totally blank white screen is displayed and the computer hangs.
I have the exact same problem and now must disconnect my USB DVD Burner before I try and access Windows from Log In. What I did find is that having my Printer and External HD connected to my keyboard is OK and using 2nd and 3rd USB for Mouse and Keyboard poses no problem but if I try to use 1st USB Port it hangs just as you described. I have a 2 week old iMac 20" sytem running Leopard and Bootcamp.

Try different USB configs and let us know what happens.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Networking External Drives | Deleting Account from Log On Screen »