New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I tell if...


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Bluewolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

... I can use both DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs?

I have a PowerBook but before I go out and buy some DVD RWs I would like to find which format my DVD RW supports... :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,589
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
I can not help you with this concerning the superdrive. Since I have an external DVD burner. If you are burning DVDs to watch on most home DVD players, then you want to use DVD-Rs. I tend to use DVD+Rs only for backing up my system. I have problems with the DVD+RW, but I have better luck with DVD-RW.

Since I have upgraded to 10.3.5 and Toast is at 6.0.7, I will have to check again.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

 
witeshark's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,860
witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

witeshark is offline
From this Apple link on Superdrive, I think nearly all are supported. But you can ask the store where you're shopping I guess
QUOTE Thanks
gort

 
Member Since: Jul 25, 2004
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 389
gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

gort is offline
I bought a spindle of imation dvd-r's from best buy for $30, they work wonderfully. I don't see anything mentioning the super drive supporting dvd-rw.
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I cannot wait for those DVD prices to go down....$2 a dvd...that's crazy.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

 
Avalon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2004
Location: Luxemburg, Europe
Posts: 1,779
Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Avalon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
... I can use both DVD+Rs or DVD-Rs?

I have a PowerBook but before I go out and buy some DVD RWs I would like to find which format my DVD RW supports... :confused:
I don't know for the PowerBook, but the Superdrive in eMac, iMac and PowerMac only support DVD-R/-RW, no +R/+RW (except maybe the latest ones).

@rman:
I have a HP 300n DVD-burner which I installed in my PowerMac (DVD+R/+RW only) and I never had problems with movies on DVD+R on any standalone DVD-player. I tried lots of different brands, never had any trouble.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
I can not help you with this concerning the superdrive. Since I have an external DVD burner. If you are burning DVDs to watch on most home DVD players, then you want to use DVD-Rs. I tend to use DVD+Rs only for backing up my system. I have problems with the DVD+RW, but I have better luck with DVD-RW.

Since I have upgraded to 10.3.5 and Toast is at 6.0.7, I will have to check again.
I have 10.3 sitting in a box somewhere but I need to find a spare moment to upgrade my PowerBook.

I must admit I was pretty confused when I went to the store to get some dvds to write on when I was confronted with + and - Rs.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I don't know for the PowerBook, but the Superdrive in eMac, iMac and PowerMac only support DVD-R/-RW, no +R/+RW (except maybe the latest ones).

@rman:
I have a HP 300n DVD-burner which I installed in my PowerMac (DVD+R/+RW only) and I never had problems with movies on DVD+R on any standalone DVD-player. I tried lots of different brands, never had any trouble.
I bought mine in January, so I don't think that it will have the superdrive. Since the -Rs work with DVD players I just bought those just to be safe.

Many thanks for all your help on this matter.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

My PowerBook spits out the DVD-R I put into it... does that mean it can't burn DVDs? :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

 
rman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 24, 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 12,589
rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

rman is offline
What kind of optical drive do you have?

Click on the Apple in the top left corner of the screen. Choose About This Mac and then click on the button More Info. From there under hardware select ata. Now look at the second twisty. Mine is on ata-3 bus. It shows a Mat****advd-rom sr-8187. After clicking the twisty, click the item under the twisty. You should see what type of optical drive you have.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

 
hype.it's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 27, 2004
Location: China
Posts: 738
hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

hype.it is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
From this Apple link on Superdrive, I think nearly all are supported.
@witeshark, the above URL you have given is wrong.... if your selling a product then it would be conceived as been correct. It contains no technical specs.

The Specs For PowerBook Superdrive can be found here!


Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
I think nearly all are supported. But you can ask the store where you're shopping I guess
No, forget the shop... On previous PowerBook models and current models you CAN ONLY USE DVD-R's the +R variation are NOT SUPPORTED. So for DVD media go for DVD-R for write once and DVD-RW for rewrite-able.

The Brand doesn't matter too much, just make sure they are from a known manufacturer such as APPLE, INFINI, TDK ... When you talk about different brands, your really talking about cost, manufacture material and possible storage life. This is important if your archiving data for long term, say more than 18 months.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

 
witeshark's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,860
witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

witeshark is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by hype.it
This is important if your archiving data for long term, say more than 18 months.
There was nothing wrong with my post; it came from the Apple site and any further info is easily found :rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

 
Avalon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 25, 2004
Location: Luxemburg, Europe
Posts: 1,779
Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Avalon is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
I bought mine in January, so I don't think that it will have the superdrive. Since the -Rs work with DVD players I just bought those just to be safe.

Many thanks for all your help on this matter.
Just for the record:
PowerBooks come with two types of optical drives, Combo- or Superdrive. The Combodrive can burn CDs, but only read DVDs. The Superdrive can also burn DVDs, and as Hype.it said (and I found out too after some research ), it can only burn DVD-R/-RW.
I guess if it spits out your blank DVD-R means that you have a Combodrive.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Just for the record:
PowerBooks come with two types of optical drives, Combo- or Superdrive. The Combodrive can burn CDs, but only read DVDs. The Superdrive can also burn DVDs, and as Hype.it said (and I found out too after some research ), it can only burn DVD-R/-RW.
I guess if it spits out your blank DVD-R means that you have a Combodrive.
I think that would make the most sense.

Although now I want to burn the dvd off of my eMac which does have a Superdrive. I know that because when I had a list of options to modify the exisitng product I selected them all!

However the theme for the dvd to be is 'world' and 10.3 has iDVD that does not have this theme. How do I put this theme onto the eMac? And do I just need to transfer over the iDVD project file? Or will I need to transfer it all over? :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
Bluewolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
What kind of optical drive do you have?

Click on the Apple in the top left corner of the screen. Choose About This Mac and then click on the button More Info. From there under hardware select ata. Now look at the second twisty. Mine is on ata-3 bus. It shows a Mat****advd-rom sr-8187. After clicking the twisty, click the item under the twisty. You should see what type of optical drive you have.
I think I have the combo drive as I have a CD-RW/DVD-ROM. So it looks like I'll have to either make another purchase, or send the files to my .mac and take them off on the eMac which has the superdrive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Mac is like a PDA | The Administrator doesn't have enough privilage? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?