New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Computerist people

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Icarus

I think I've experienced more...unbacked up 'hatred' towards my mac than I have ever before in my life. I tell a friend who has a PC, "oh, Jim, I got a mac." and I've only ever gotten, "BOOO" or "ewww...mac!" or some other form like that.

So today at my friends house we were doing a lan to play Warcraft 3, right?
and his mom comes up and says,
"Nik, is that your new computer?" "yup." (Nik owns a Dell) "I like how sharp the screen is!....Mike, is that a new laptop or have you had that for awhile?" (her eyes lingering on the glowing apple for a second) "no, it's new. It's a macintosh." "....oh....well...I suppose that's better for YOUR needs, isn't it?" Now at this point I wanted to get into an argument with her about why they are not inferior to PC's, (Oddly enough, an Arugument similar to this would have never taken place as recently as Febuary...) but I just sorta smiled, and reassured myself that I have an amazing secret that all of these people probably will have no clue about.

As I left, they were all running Norton and spybot to get rid of their viruses and adware. I chuckle and put my Silver Powerbook into my backpack.

has everybody else experienced such cold people as I have?
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Everyone who's seen my Powerbook so far has said "ooh that's gorgeous, I wish I could (afford/justify) one." I'm not even rich, just bought it on credit to pay off over 3 years, but I suppose the majority of people are happy to put up with all the viruses/adware/etc for the lower price. *shrugs* As a computer entheusiast I wanted to pay for something decent, but I can understand that most of the world just wants "the cheapest" no matter what it costs them in time and frustration.

Nobody's tried to be mean about it so far, but there are always bigots around somewhere
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

I have yet to get any harassment from anyone. The bad thing is most people won't want to listen to an argument, they're set on the idea that macs suck. A year ago I would have bet someone $100 that I would never own a mac, and now I have one. Given I would never own a pre-osx model (I hated using those in elementary through high school), but the new apples are soooo nice and I love os x.
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

I think the major bad karma that my generation has against the Macintosh brand is we all used Apples back in the day, and school computers are ALWAYS slow. Just that we never were around any fast Macs, so we had the assumption that Mac's were all terrible machines. Shame some people just don't understand it's not better or worse, just...different.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Everyone that knows me considers me superior to themselves as far as IT/technology is concerned, so no one as ever tried to call my laptop crap. And why would they, it blows them off when they look at it. All they ask is... was it very expensive?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah expense is definitely a factor.. Instead of saying this is my new macintosh, say something like, "yeah running Panther", it will at least get them curious and if they look long enough they figure out it's a mac, but they have just looked more then if they would have just dismissed it.
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

I've gotten that before. Our schools IT guy did that. "Holy *$&^! Is that a Mac! Macs just suck!" Some other guys tried to trash my PB too so I got really ticked off. Do you know what I did? I hacked in to my school network just to tick off the IT guy and then those guys that tried to destory my baby, lets just say that they werent very happy with their report cards that semester.
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Now that's a BS story if I ever read one.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Yeah, PC people are always giving Mac people the "Macs suck/Macs are slow/Macs are expensive" treatment.

Of course, when Mac people try to argue back, they call us zealots. :rolleyes:

Can't win.
QUOTE Thanks
jaetique

Oh, that's just mean.
I haven't received many comments on my iBook, even though I cart it everywhere I go. People are fascinated by the glowing apple logo though (and so am I).
Laptops running Windows are faaaar more expensive than my iBook. By at least $500 SGD if you want to get one with good specs. I'd rather shell out on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
VastDeathmaster

I lived in a house where the other occupants had Wintels. I had a Wintel (Wamd?) too, but I also had/have an iBook. Everytime I brought it out, they seemed to drool.

Then again, they are all geeks in one way or another and understand the place of a Mac in the Personal Computer universe.
QUOTE Thanks
daughter_anna

wait, does the apple on the powerbooks and i-books glow?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughter_anna
on the powerbooks and i-books glow?
Yup, taking light from the display it sure does!
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

witeshark, you said that the glowing apple takes it's light from the display...does that mean that it'll change ever so slightly depending on what you have on your screen at that perticular moment?
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

No, every flat screen uses a backlight, and it's that backlight that makes the apple on iBooks/PowerBooks glow. It's a steady white light.
It might get dimmed if you dim the screen, of course
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macjanitor, onyx, or...? | BT Broadband and Panther »