New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

On the verge of taking it back

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

As the title says, i am on the verge of taking my MBP back and going back to PC. This is my 2nd MBP that i have had, and it's screwing up again. My first one, after 2 weeks of use, the graphics card messed up, and would only work with an external monitor hooked up. So they replaced that one, giving me this new one. Now i have had this one for 2 months, and i am having OS problems. Apple said first off, that i should Erase and install, and if that doesn't work, then it's the RAM. So i did what they said, and it didn't do a thing, the problem still persists. So i called them back, and they said they wouldn't replace it, and i would have to send it away and i would be without my computer for 2 weeks. I can't afford to do that. I'm going to try to fight them to replace it, or i'm taking it back, it's ridiculous!

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

That is one reason I try to always buy from a retail outlet instead of online. But it sounds like you have had some bad luck. I am sure it isnt representative of most Macs and once this laptop is working right I am sure it will continue to do so for years. I have never owned a mac laptop myself. Ones a few Pros and would never buy one due to their heat. But hopefully you get this worked out for yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

First off, I am pretty sure the technical phone support people are not trained all that well. (i have a few issues with the phone support) The genius people at the store are EXTREMELY helpful. I would take it there for help and ditch phone support.
Secondly, if this is your first time using OS X, use 10.4. Leopard is still too buggy. Wait till Apple updates to 10.5.1.
Windows Vista had lots of problems when it first came out. Switching to avoid that sort of problem won't really fix anything.
But totally get a new one if you know it is a hardware issue.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

The techs at the stores are MUCH better than people on the phones.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

For this new issue though, i have no clue i have no clue how i'm going to get the Apple store to give me a new one. For my first issue, i had to fight with them to get one to me, and i still had to wait 3.5 weeks for one to come in. The phone support told me to go to the apple store, but i have a feeling that they put something into my case # which wil tell them not to replace it, which i hope is not the case.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Just remember you're the customer and you have the right to receive goods which perform to the specifications and basically do what they are supposed to.

If this isn't the case, then you have every right to make as much noise as you want. Tell them what you want and keep on at them until a mutual agreement is reached. You just need to understand the "Adversarial" process that exists these days and use it to your benefit instead of getting frustrated too much. I know that's easier to say, but have all your facts before you and try to deal with the process as much by email as over the phone or in person at an Applestore.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You're understandably frustrated, but I think you're jumping the gun and not allowing the tech support process to run its course. Take it to an Apple store and let them diagnose the problem and offer a solution. If it's not acceptable, remain calm, and explain to them that you've had a disappointing experience thus far and need the machine to work now. I can't imagine they'd force you to send it into a depot for what sounds to me like a quick fix.

I guarantee you that you won't see better customer service from any of the major PC manufacturers.

And yes, Leopard is still very new. It is unrealistic to expect a flawless first release of any OS. If stability is of utmost importance, stick with Tiger for now.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknabster View Post
As the title says, i am on the verge of taking my MBP back and going back to PC. This is my 2nd MBP that i have had, and it's screwing up again. My first one, after 2 weeks of use, the graphics card messed up, and would only work with an external monitor hooked up. So they replaced that one, giving me this new one. Now i have had this one for 2 months, and i am having OS problems. Apple said first off, that i should Erase and install, and if that doesn't work, then it's the RAM. So i did what they said, and it didn't do a thing, the problem still persists. So i called them back, and they said they wouldn't replace it, and i would have to send it away and i would be without my computer for 2 weeks. I can't afford to do that. I'm going to try to fight them to replace it, or i'm taking it back, it's ridiculous!
What's the OS issue?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
i am having OS problems.
Yes, is this a request for help or just a rant????
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Big problem! | 2.2 Vs 2.4 GHz »