New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

which to buy: best Macbook or best Macbook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

phrozted

phrozted is on a distinguished road

Money here isn't an issue. I just want to hear your opinions on the big difference between a fully loaded Macbook and the top-of-the-line Macbook Pro.

Obviously the Pro is the better machine overall, but I like the smaller size of the Macbook. Also, I've had a Pro before, and the aluminum case was pretty flimsy. I've heard the Macbook's case was sturdier. I've also heard that the Macbook might get better wireless reception because it doesn't have to deal with the interference of an aluminum case, and I do use my computer all the time all over the place, so this is important.

Then again, application load times are important to me. I like things to open immediately, and I hate it when my computer has to take forever bringing something up. Also, I'm a little interested in video editing, and although I haven't graduated from iMovie to Final Cut Pro, I've heard that the latter is infitely better on the Macbook Pro.

I don't really play video games much, but I used to play them all the time, and I guess there's some slim chance that I might play one in the future.

The backlit keyboard on the Macbook isn't an issue for me at all.

Another thing: I don't like the hook latches on the Pro. On my old Pro, one of the hook springs dislodged itself. I like the simplicity of the Macbook's magnetic clasp.

But the POWER of the Pro is so sexy.

I do hope to run Vista on either machine.

I use mainly email (Apple Mail), Firefox, and word processing (Word/Pages), but occasionally I use iMovie, and I live in iPhoto. Obviously, I'm in iTunes all the time, too.

Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
leecho7

leecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really niceleecho7 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram

What kind of video editing do you do? If you're doing home movies and the sort, a Macbook should suit you just fine. But if you're looking to expand and experiment with a program like Final Cut Studio, I highly recommend the MBP.

Bismillah ihr Rhman ihr Raheem

The only way to truly learn and gain experience is from making mistakes.
Thats why I'm a friggin genius.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

*Moved to proper forum*
QUOTE Thanks
phrozted

Yeah, right now, I'm only doing home movies. The question of whether or not I'll end up trying something more intense is what has me so confused on which computer to buy.

I hate that the Pro isn't smaller.
QUOTE Thanks
WakeCarver

WakeCarver is a jewel in the roughWakeCarver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

I would go with a fully loaded 15" pro. It has all the horse power of the 17" but in a smaller package. You will need that power if you want to game at all and if you decide to get into any serious video editing. Plus the pro will last much longer without needing to be upgraded.

"I call this the Greatest Zooks Album." -CEREAL KILLER
QUOTE Thanks
phrozted

What about wireless? Is it really that much better on the plastic Macbooks?
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozted View Post
What about wireless? Is it really that much better on the plastic Macbooks?
What would plastic have to do with wireless capabilities???
QUOTE Thanks
phrozted

Many people say that aluminum interferes with wireless signal.
QUOTE Thanks
JerrfyLube

JerrfyLube is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozted View Post
Many people say that aluminum interferes with wireless signal.
Well i can assure you, its a moot point in a MBP. Have you honestly seen any posts heere about people having wireless problems with their MBP's??
QUOTE Thanks
Skyrider007

Skyrider007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4

If money is no issue for you then I'd suggest you get the high-end MBP with the new optional 2.6GHz processor. I own a 2.4GHz MBP and can highly recommend it.
QUOTE Thanks
phrozted

Are Macbook's more durable?
QUOTE Thanks
mr_spurs_16

mr_spurs_16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 2.5 GB RAM, 160GB HD, 14th October 2007

I have a 17" MBP 2.4 and I love it. I take it everywhere (train, college, plain) and there are no scratches. It runs the games I want, it even runs Crysis at 30 FPS.

I recommend this any day of the week to anyone looking for power.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

You sound like a perfect candidate for the long-rumored 12" MacBook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

If you like the performance of the MacBook Pro, but you like the portability of the MacBook, then it would seem that the 15.4" 2.6 GHz would be a great way to go. Especially since, as you say, money is not an issue. Of course, if you do go that route (high performance) you should get the biggest fast HD available and max out the RAM on your own. Having Apple do the upgrade for you wastes about $600.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
stephenmontero

stephenmontero is on a distinguished road

I just got the new Macbook with the upgraded processor which is now just as powerful as the base one in the macbook pro. The only difference between the two is the graphics card obviously the one in the macbook pro if better
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hey all | Switcher need help with web page display »