New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Should I get a mac?

Thread Closed

Im_new

Im_new is on a distinguished road

Is it really worth getting a mac?
Currently I have 4 PC's with Windows XP and 1 of them also has Ubuntu, but can a MAC do anything that any other OS cannot do?
illusionist

illusionist is on a distinguished road

what will be your use for the computer?
Im_new

I don't really know.
Anything?
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

There are certain applications (the iLife suite, Final Cut, etc.) that require MacOS to run. These applications have equivalents (which may or may not be as good as their MacOS-only counterparts) on Windows, and I'd be shocked if they didn't on Linux as well.

In short: Unless you have some pressing need to use one of those pieces of software, there is no *need* to switch to a Mac. I'd encourage you to pick up one to play around with as I did, but if what you have is working fine, I wouldn't recommend dumping what you have now and running to MacOS just for the sake of, uh, running MacOS.

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
hartrick

hartrick is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2.16 4gig 160GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_new View Post
Currently I have 4 PC's with Windows XP and 1 of them also has Ubuntu, but can a MAC do anything that any other OS cannot do?
You can run ms windows in a window on the desktop, so best of both worlds. I just installed vmfusion on leopard and will install vista 64 ultmate. I already have xp pro running. I may also install ubunto as it looks pretty cool for linux.
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

I don't think any OS can do something another OS can't - apart from having different looks and feels. I think it's worth giving Macs a serious try (i.e. not just playing with one at the Apple store). See if you can manage to borrow one, if not then just take the plunge and buy one. I personally think it's very worth it, but since OS's can all do the same thing now, it's all personal preference.

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to the correct forum*
Im_new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukeh View Post
I think it's worth giving Macs a serious try (i.e. not just playing with one at the Apple store). See if you can manage to borrow one, if not then just take the plunge and buy one.
I might get to in a few days or even next week.
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_new View Post
I don't really know.
Anything?
Yes.

If you're buying one just out of curiosity, you'll like it. It won't do much that the others won't, but you'll get to know another OS.

If you're into 'gadgets', a Mac is a good one. They're well put together.

Call it an early birthday present to yourself.
MikeM

MikeM has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

If you want to experiment and see what it's like before you jump in, pick up a used G4 off of Craigslist or e-bay. That's what I did and it's been a great experience. I've seen 1GHz G4 eMacs on e-bay for $250. They are compact enough that they will fit anywhere, fast enough to run Leopard and would be a great starter Mac in my opinion.

This way you can get acostomed to the OS and software before making a major investment. If you like it, you can make the plunge into a newer system. If you decide it isn't your thing, it was only a couple hundred bucks.

-MikeM
Im_new

When I do get to(I'm guessing next friday?) What should I do first?
What are some good games or programs to try?
MikeM

MikeM has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

Again it all boils down to what do you plan to do with it. What do you use your four PCs for? Do you want to just tinker with the OS. Do you like to work with graphics or video? Do you just like to surf the web? Are you a gamer? Do you need a computer for school? These are the kinds of questions I would ask yourself before buying any computer, PC or Mac. It helps determine what level of machine would be the best investment.

Here is a site that has some programs for Mac.
http://flernk.blogspot.com/2006/07/g...switchers.html

I honestly can't recommend buying a whole brand new computer if you don't even know what you want it for. Spending $1k or more on a passing fancy will make you regret it if you end up not having a reason for it.

If you are just curious about Mac OS and how it's different then Windows and Linux, get a used one.

-MikeM
Im_new

Quote:
Again it all boils down to what do you plan to do with it. What do you use your four PCs for?
(Desktop)1.Used by someone else.
(Desktop)2.Internet, Play Games.
(Laptop)3.Keep files(Music and Pictures), Play Games, Used by someone else.
(Laptop)4.Make games, Internet, Make Pictures(For the games), Edit Music, Make/Edit Video , Play Games(Ones that do work), And possibly other stuff I don't remember.
Quote:
Do you want to just tinker with the OS.
The more I can open and do the better.
But that's just what I think.
Quote:
Do you like to work with graphics or video?
Yes.
Quote:
Do you just like to surf the web?
Most of the time.
Quote:
Are you a gamer?
Yes.
Quote:
Do you need a computer for school?
Not right now, possibly in the future.
CookbookChef

CookbookChef is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8GB, 3 750GB HDs, 250GB HD, two 22" monitors, 1 iMac, 1 13" Macbook Pro, AppleTv, 2 iPhones

I've been using PCs for more than 20 years. Was never a big Apple fan and bought a Mac Pro pretty much sight unseen. I had never seen the OS and never saw a Mac up close.

The reason? I got tired of running multiple layers of anti-virus software, of the computer reboot automatically overnight because a "critical" update was installed, of running every sort of anti-spyware application and of constantly running various maintenance programs to prevent the thing from crashing.

So far, I am wonderfully impressed. It does all of the multimedia stuff I have always wanted to do, and it does it more seamlessly than a PC. I still have a learning curve, but I'm getting better. I have Office running and I run Vista in a VM and in BootCamp when I need Windows. Guaranteed best bang for the buck.

Oh, yeah, I work for M$
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
For you, it sounds like it wouldn't be worth it. No OS can really do anything another one can't do, but one OS might be easier and nicer to use.

Look at Apple's pages and decide if you WANT a Mac. If you don't want one, don't get one.

Thread Closed

« Macbook Pro Stolen :( | I am a convert......finally! »