New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Unzipping multiple files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bookjunky

Bookjunky is on a distinguished road

One of the other big things I am having difficulties with in the transition is unzipping multiple files. Compounding that is the major unreliability of stuffit. It hangs every single time I use it. I tried mac zip but it does not seem to do multiple files either.

Isn 't there something that will run on a mac along the lines of winzip that will unzip multiple files? Or run without hanging up every time?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Zipping and unzipping are handled by the os itself (X) - no need for stuffit or anything else

To create a Zip file:

Select the files or folders: right click: select Create Archive of.....

To unzip: to set up mac osx to zip all files

select a zip file and get info (command F)
Under open with section select BOMarchiveHelper (it has a lime green icon)

Hit the Change all icon below it

Now all unzips will be handles by OSX - you can now ditch all the other zip programs
QUOTE Thanks
Bookjunky

Bookjunky is on a distinguished road

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
smppms

smppms is on a distinguished road

I was getting an error uncompressing a multi file zip. I got around this by installing WinZip using Parallel Desktop with WindowXP installed.

I know this won't work for everyone, but if you Windows installed with either Boot Camp or Parallel Desktop. Installing Winzip will work for you.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by smppms View Post
I was getting an error uncompressing a multi file zip. I got around this by installing WinZip using Parallel Desktop with WindowXP installed.

I know this won't work for everyone, but if you Windows installed with either Boot Camp or Parallel Desktop. Installing Winzip will work for you.
Ye gods that's a round about way of accomplishing something simple OSX will do itself. There are perfectly good copies of zip and unzip shipped with OS X in /usr/bin.

Gotta drop to a terminal, but they'll handle standard shell wildcards for zipping/unzipping multiple files.

$ unzip *.zip

etc.
QUOTE Thanks
jason_stanfield

jason_stanfield is on a distinguished road

I recently downloaded 283 Zip files (using Firefox's "Download Them All" plugin ... so useful), all containing some nice website background patterns, but didn't want to double-click on all of them.

I didn't want to buy a new shareware app for one task, so on a hunch I selected all and right-clicked, and Automator came up as an option. Never using it before, I opened it, and it's far easier than I originally thought Automator was going to be:

1. Open Automator.

2. In "Get Specific Finder Items" on the right side, click on [Add...] and navigate to the folder(s) containing the compressed files you want to unZip.

3. On the left side, click on the Actions button, then select "Open Finder Items" from the list.

4. In the upper right, click the Run (>) button. Automator will then go through the list and, one by one, unZip the Zip files.

I'm unaware if it will do this across multiple folders, but I have to assume it does given that you can select files from multiple folders in the first place.

(If it means anything, I'm using a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo running Leopard OSX v10.5.2.)

(Oh, and if you're interested, those background patterns can be found here.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB Peripheral and Fusion | Virus issues »