New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

PC and a Mac in same house?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jolee38

jolee38 is on a distinguished road

My daughter has a Dell pc in her home office. Comcast is ISP.

Can she use an IMac G5 1.8ghz in home for the kids?

Would they affect each other? Anything we should think about or know?

Don't know who else to ask before she buys a used mac, so we really

would appreciate your advice.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

the iMac will catch windows cooties.

No, srsly, they'll be fine. Most of the people on this site (from what I've seen) have both PC's and Mac's in their home. I have 2 Mac's and 2 PC's and everything's gravy.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I have lots of PC's (Personal Computers) in my home.
Some of them run Mac OS X and some run Windows.
I also have Comcast Cable Internet.
I have no problems.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Comcast cable here also, with 2 Mac's, 2 Win boxes and 1 Linux box.
No issues.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

Charter Cable, 12windows pcs and 3 new age macs, 2 legacy macs, and a linux pc. No issues, many are setup to share files with one another.

(Counting them up makes me feel like I'm running a business out of my house, I think Dennis still beats me in amnt of computers connected at once though.)

QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

All should be OK... I have 1 pc and 1 mac networked directly (no router) on the same desk. Oh and if you even wanted to network the computers, its not as hard as they make it out to be on most sites on the net... The mac side was extremely simple, the pc side on the other hide requires a few steps...

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

As has already been posted, no. My employer has issued me a Dell Windows XP machine which connects to my Verizon FIOS router just the same as my two Macbooks (well, my Macbook and my wife's Macbook) and a Mac Mini which all share the same wireless connection. No problems. I even had a Linux box hooked up to the network for awhile. They all go their merry way.

Same thing at work. I take my Macbook in and it joins up with the corporate wireless just fine while the company issued aforementioned Dell doesn't for some reason; go figure. I have to jack a wire into the Dell to get on the corporate network.

Same technology as what's in the home, just bigger scale. There will be no problem with you having a Mac, PC, Linux box, iPaq, wi-fi capable iPhone or iPod Touch, or anything else on the same network. They all use the same protocols. The Mac just makes things easier.
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

I actually was curious, why would there be a problem? Are there puters that don't play well on a network. My thinking is sort of like diff telephone companies, you can still call someone who isn't on the same bill or even company as you...

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
MikeM

MikeM has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

I have a small Windows Domain in my house and my Mac integrates quite well with Active Directory. The only problem I have is that it won't talk to my networked printer but that's more of a driver problem then a network problem. File sharing is a breeze. It's just another one of the gang.

If it works this well in this setup, it will work fine in a regular mixed workgroup environment.

-MikeM
QUOTE Thanks
AK47

AK47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD

I was annoyed to have to get in a computer guy to set my macbook up with a pc wireless network.
QUOTE Thanks
davidgallant

davidgallant is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" C2D 2gRam, 8g iPhone

On the router in my dorm, I have a macbook, an iphone, a windows xp pro box, and a gentoo filesharing server. everything but the gentoo box works very well with everything else(only because it is uber secure). Filesharing is a sinch, and depending on your printer, sharing wont be a problem. Luckily, I have a wifi printer

--GOT PROTOOLS?--
QUOTE Thanks
ChodeMasterJ

ChodeMasterJ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook (white), 2 GHz, 2 GB Memory, 120 GB, Superdrive, 10.4.10.

I've got a PC and a Macbook set up on the same network via Airport Extreme. Very, very simple to set up. I've got an external HD that I need to hook in there, too. Macs and PCs can share external HD's, can't they?
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZa View Post
the iMac will catch windows cooties.
This literally made me LOL.
QUOTE Thanks
AIX

AIX is on a distinguished road

Same as several posters above, Comcast cable with D-link router... no problems... It is the 21st century, so interracial households are perfectly okay

@ChodeMasterJ: Yes they can if its formatted for FAT32... if the drive is NTFS, the Mac will only be able to read off it
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I've heard it's like putting two Betas in the same fish bowl.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie, way in over my head with Leopard BSOD | My mac is broken please help me »