New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

xbench results....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joeytpg

Hi guys, i have a simple question......

today i installed a 512mb ram chip in my 15" 1.33ghz powerbook..........so.....i had 256 as normal.........and now i have 768.............and even when it seem faster (i still have to test it more with daily use) but even when it seems faster i tested with xbench and the results with 256 ram where better than with 768................

with the stock 256 it was 116.68, and with 768 i test it 3 times: 1) 108, but i had a few application opened, so i closed them and tested it again....and 115 was the best one.............so 115 after upgrading ram?......and 116.68 with only 256 stock?............anything wrong?.....or is this normal

now i have more things in my hard drive (more videos and mp3's and programs ......than before) but i don't think that's a problem.

thanks for inputs

Update: it is faster.......but i don't know why the xbench came out worst than with the stock 256.

P.S. by the way the memory brand i bought was CENTON ELECTRONICS www.centon.com is this good?...

i know crucial is the most recommended here but i asked an uncle so buy the memory at compusa and he got that one (the guy from the store told him that it was compatible with Apple)....

...and since i told him to get PC2700 and gave him every little detail....well it's working because my pbook inmediatly recognized it

what do you think about CENTON?
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

Don't worry about Xbench, as long as its faster .

For my own knowledge, is it alot faster?
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

hell yeah man... ehhehe....i mean when you open an application from the dock (for example: iphoto.............it's faster but it still take a tiny bit of time to open...........but once it's OPEN the speed increase is enormus...............and when i have a lot of apps open its way faster
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I'm guessing that Xbench doesn't do much that involves large datasets, or anything else that would occupy enough memory to show a difference.

As for the Centon vs. Crucial vs. whatever brand of memory...I like Crucial because, in my opinion, Crucial's memory has a low rate of defects. That's just an opinion, based mostly on word-of-mouth. I have no hard data to support it, and I have no reason to believe that Centon or anyone else does not sell solid memory.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Mac OS X is based on UNIX technology. From all the various flavors, they have one thing in common other than stability. They all have a swap file of approx. 1.5Gb, the more RAM you have the less it'll use the HD for swapping this data. Hence you get a speed increase.
QUOTE Thanks
Haylcron

You may also want to go into your system prefs/energy saver and change the setting to highest performance before running XBench. After reading this thread I downloaded it and ran it... with my custom power setting (and 21% battery charge) I got someting around 109 or so. When I changed the settings to highest performannce, my number went up to 119+. It seems the computer is really fast, but the hard drive is really slowing it down.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Maximum MTU setting?? | Microsoft Word??? »