Joeytpg
    xbench results....
    Hi guys, i have a simple question......

today i installed a 512mb ram chip in my 15" 1.33ghz powerbook..........so.....i had 256 as normal.........and now i have 768.............and even when it seem faster (i still have to test it more with daily use) but even when it seems faster i tested with xbench and the results with 256 ram where better than with 768................

with the stock 256 it was 116.68, and with 768 i test it 3 times: 1) 108, but i had a few application opened, so i closed them and tested it again....and 115 was the best one.............so 115 after upgrading ram?......and 116.68 with only 256 stock?............anything wrong?.....or is this normal

now i have more things in my hard drive (more videos and mp3's and programs ......than before) but i don't think that's a problem.

thanks for inputs

Update: it is faster.......but i don't know why the xbench came out worst than with the stock 256.

P.S. by the way the memory brand i bought was CENTON ELECTRONICS www.centon.com is this good?...

i know crucial is the most recommended here but i asked an uncle so buy the memory at compusa and he got that one (the guy from the store told him that it was compatible with Apple)....

...and since i told him to get PC2700 and gave him every little detail....well it's working because my pbook inmediatly recognized it

what do you think about CENTON?

Matt
    Don't worry about Xbench, as long as its faster .

For my own knowledge, is it alot faster?

Joeytpg
    hell yeah man... ehhehe....i mean when you open an application from the dock (for example: iphoto.............it's faster but it still take a tiny bit of time to open...........but once it's OPEN the speed increase is enormus...............and when i have a lot of apps open its way faster

xbench results....

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    I'm guessing that Xbench doesn't do much that involves large datasets, or anything else that would occupy enough memory to show a difference.

As for the Centon vs. Crucial vs. whatever brand of memory...I like Crucial because, in my opinion, Crucial's memory has a low rate of defects. That's just an opinion, based mostly on word-of-mouth. I have no hard data to support it, and I have no reason to believe that Centon or anyone else does not sell solid memory.

xbench results....
    Specs:
    Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
    Mac OS X is based on UNIX technology. From all the various flavors, they have one thing in common other than stability. They all have a swap file of approx. 1.5Gb, the more RAM you have the less it'll use the HD for swapping this data. Hence you get a speed increase.

Haylcron
    You may also want to go into your system prefs/energy saver and change the setting to highest performance before running XBench. After reading this thread I downloaded it and ran it... with my custom power setting (and 21% battery charge) I got someting around 109 or so. When I changed the settings to highest performannce, my number went up to 119+. It seems the computer is really fast, but the hard drive is really slowing it down.

Thread Information