New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Quick Mail Client Advice to Recent Switchers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

illy5603

illy5603 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 ghz "new" 24" iMac

Hello switchers and prospective switchers. As a recent switcher and all around technical guy, I wanted to share some observations about e-mail and the switchers inclination to gravitate towards entourage. I also want to point out how getting a new computer is a perfect time to make a break from POP mail and switch to server side mail storage (IMAP).

Heck I don't know, maybe it is way of staying attached to the bad old days of Windows, but I went straight to Entourage when I started using my iMac. Well, if you must know...

1) It is an absolutely horrible e-mail client.
2) It is NOTHING like Outlook.
3) It does not support your 14 years worth of .PST files you have sitting around on your old PC.
4) About all it is good for is talking natively to an exchange server and it is only marginally good at doing that.

My advice...

1) Try the good old MAIL program on your new Mac! You will be pleasantly surprised! It will even sync with your blackberry!
2) Before you make the switch, gather up all the e-mail lying around in those .PST's you have filled up with POP downloads and re-upload it to your mail server at your ISP by switching to IMAP and copying the mail from our personal folder to the IMAP mailbox folder. If your provider doesn't support it, find one that does! Eventually you are going to want to forget about having your e-mail "on your computer". This isn't 1993, disk space and bandwidth are cheap! Save yourself the headache and store your e-mail on an e-mail server, not your hard drive.

Best of luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Spotlight comment for Mac HD? | New 24" iMac - WooHoo! »