New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sharing internet connection?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chronogoof89

Hi. I have a 15in 1.25ghz Powerbook g4. I connect to the internet using a cable modem + a Cat5 cable. (it has USB support too and that works also). The other computer in my house is, LOL, a 100mhz Dell Laptop. My mom uses it for surfing since our Gateway tower died. I have heard several references from people on this board that they run their other computers THROUGH their Mac's to access the internet. Is there a way to do this? The Dell obviously has a network card (not built in). I was thinking, would it be possible to run the USB from the modem to my PB, and then Cat5 between the PB and the Dell - and then both comps couldl use the internet simultaneously? Please help me! I'm tired of having to power-cycle the modem everytime I come in to go on the web and my mom has been using the Dell.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

You need a router to allow internet sharing.

I used this d-link model until I added a wireless puter to my network.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=62
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Compusa has the D-Link DI-604 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router for $9.99 after rebate.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronogoof89
Hi. I have a 15in 1.25ghz Powerbook g4. I connect to the internet using a cable modem + a Cat5 cable. (it has USB support too and that works also). The other computer in my house is, LOL, a 100mhz Dell Laptop. My mom uses it for surfing since our Gateway tower died. I have heard several references from people on this board that they run their other computers THROUGH their Mac's to access the internet. Is there a way to do this? The Dell obviously has a network card (not built in). I was thinking, would it be possible to run the USB from the modem to my PB, and then Cat5 between the PB and the Dell - and then both comps couldl use the internet simultaneously? Please help me! I'm tired of having to power-cycle the modem everytime I come in to go on the web and my mom has been using the Dell.
I've never tried connecting to a cable modem via USB, but assuming you try it and the PB can connect that way (it sounds like you've already been able to connect with the USB), you can certainly run an Ethernet cable from the Mac to your Dell and it will work just fine. No router would be necessary.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
chronogoof89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
I've never tried connecting to a cable modem via USB, but assuming you try it and the PB can connect that way (it sounds like you've already been able to connect with the USB), you can certainly run an Ethernet cable from the Mac to your Dell and it will work just fine. No router would be necessary.
Yeah, I connected fine with USB. I dunno if its slower, but I didn't notice anything... I used to have to connect my Windows 98 PC with USB. It sucked. It would take HOURS to get the drivers and modem to work right. I usually gave up and called tech support to walk me through it, and I always did it right like they said. They'd usually walk me through it like 5 or 6 times and it would finally work.

With the Mac I plugged it in and it came right up recognizing the modem by name (Surfboard 4100)... LOL I love it... I've tried to have the Mac on USB and the Dell on Cat5 from the Mac, but it doesn't work. Are there any settings I may need to adjust on the Mac side. The PC shouldn't care where the connection is coming through. I'm basically trying to get the Mac to act like a router and still be able to connect at the same time.
Yes, I know I could get a router for $10. I work at Office Depot. I'm cheap, I'm going to college soon (WiFi saturated dorm...!) and I don't feel like spending $10 to keep me from power cycling the modem for 2 weeks. If I can do it for free though, and also amaze people with the awesome connectivity of the Mac, I will.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
With the Mac I plugged it in and it came right up recognizing the modem by name (Surfboard 4100)... LOL I love it... I've tried to have the Mac on USB and the Dell on Cat5 from the Mac, but it doesn't work. Are there any settings I may need to adjust on the Mac side. The PC shouldn't care where the connection is coming through. I'm basically trying to get the Mac to act like a router and still be able to connect at the same time.
Go to System Preferences, then click on Sharing. There should be a tab labeled Internet, and clicking on that tab should give you the option of enabling internet sharing.

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
chronogoof89

Quote:
Go to System Preferences, then click on Sharing. There should be a tab labeled Internet, and clicking on that tab should give you the option of enabling internet sharing.
Yeah, I tried that. I allowed it to share the en2 Ethernet adapter (which is the USB, that's what it lists I'm using to connect when I use the USB). I allowed it to share this connection over the built in Ethernet Card. Didn't work. Its probably an issue on the PC end, and I don't feel like dealing with that, unless you have any suggestions?!
QUOTE Thanks
pedrothekevin

Wouldn't he need a crossover ethernet cable connecting the two computers?
QUOTE Thanks
chronogoof89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrothekevin
What's that
I just have regular, cheap Cat5.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

Still believe that you have to have a router to allow both computers to have access to the internet. The cable modem doesn't know how to "route" the traffic.

As far as the crossover cable your powerbook doesn't need one because it has Auto-Medium Dependent Interface Crossover (Auto-MDIX). It will sense the connection and act like a crossover if need be.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

I stand corrected!

It seems that in OS X you can use your Mac as the "router" via system preference settings. Of course you would always have to have the host computer on.

I would still go with the $10 router.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrothekevin
No, the internal Gigabit LAN connector has auto sensing technology means, you can use a standard Cat 5 for 10/100 Mbit connections but you MUST have a Cat 6 for 1Gbit networking. The additional shielding is required for hi-speed networking.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Quote:
Yeah, I tried that. I allowed it to share the en2 Ethernet adapter (which is the USB, that's what it lists I'm using to connect when I use the USB). I allowed it to share this connection over the built in Ethernet Card. Didn't work. Its probably an issue on the PC end, and I don't feel like dealing with that, unless you have any suggestions?!
Do you have OS X's firewall switched on? The controls are located in the same "Sharing" menu, under the Firewall tab. The internet sharing won't work if the firewall is on, so you'll have to turn it off first. I just tested everything again using my iBook and an old Toshiba laptop, and the sharing works great using a standard ethernet cable.

QUOTE Thanks
chronogoof89

Quote:
Do you have OS X's firewall switched on? The controls are located in the same "Sharing" menu, under the Firewall tab. The internet sharing won't work if the firewall is on, so you'll have to turn it off first. I just tested everything again using my iBook and an old Toshiba laptop, and the sharing works great using a standard ethernet cable.
No. Its switched off. I have restarted the old computer after the cable is set up and the PB is running off of USB. I'm going to see if I can get it to work.
Firewall is off. There shouldn't be any adjustments to the Dell right? Because it doesn't know/care if the service is coming from a router, powerbook, directly from the modem, etc when using a network card.
QUOTE Thanks
chronogoof89

It worked! Cool guys, thanks so much! Saved me $10! I don't know what I did, but I shut off the Dell until the network was setup, then I started it up with everything going. It didn't work at first. I ran winipcfg and it listed an IP address under the Network card, so I was like... this SHOULD work?! I released that IP and renewed it. I then opened up IE 4 and it loaded yahoo right up! Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost my account settings | My switching to Mac hinges almost entirely upon one thing. »