New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

[How To] Macintosh Keyboard Short Cuts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Hi People, with all the recent switchers, I think it's time to dedicated a useful thread for essential Keyboard Shortcuts As many of you newcomers seem to be asking the same question over and over again.

If you know of a useful shortcut that hasn't already been posted, please add to the list. Please post it here, then link to this thread. Otherwise there will be billion of threads for the same thing.

Here's the thread code:
Code:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=42062#post42062
Thread rule
Please try to refrain from going off topic. This thread's for Keyboard Shortcuts Only on any Apple Computer wether it's a Beige Box, iMac, iBook, or PowerBook. If it's for an application then indicate clearly it's for an application.

First for the Basics on PowerBook or iBook Keyboards:

Also:
Brightness controls
F1 = Screen Dimmer
F2 = Screen Brighter

Contrast controls
Apple + Option + Ctrl + > = Increase Contrast
Apple + Option + Ctrl + < = Decrease Contrast
Apple + Option + Ctrl + 8 = White on Black

FYI: On PowerBooks with Backlit keyboards, there's an ambient light sensor built-in, it helps adjust both the keyboard and screen brightness, but you can over-ride it by using the keyboard controls.

In the current range of iBooks, non of them come with Backlit keyboards and the option isn't available for your iBook. Even if you acquired one, you may discover you cannot install it, since the logic-board doesn't have the necessary connections for the sensory technology.

Apple + ? = Help

Universal

Apple + Z = Undo
Apple + X = Cut
Apple + C = Copy
Apple + V = Paste
Apple + A = Select All

Apple + N = New
Apple + O = Open

Apple + S = Save
Apple + Shift + S = Save As..

Apple + P = Print
Apple + Shift + P = Page Setup

Apple = T = Font Menu
Apple = - = Small Font or Zoom Out
Apple = + = Bigger Font or Zoom In

Apple + Q = Quit Application
Apple + Option + Escape = Force Quit

Apple + W = Close Current Window
Apple + M = Minimize Window

Safari
For Tab browsing you need to switch on the Tab feature, found in the Preferences

Apple + T = New Tab
Apple + R = Refresh or Reload the page
Apple = [ = Back
Apple = ] = Next
Apple = D = Add to Bookmark

Finder
Apple + E = Eject, Remove Media/Drives (aka Put Away)
Apple + I = Get Info
Apple + Delete = Move selected files to trash
Apple + Spacebar = Change input language
Apple + Option + D = Auto Hide and Show the Dock

Command + Shift + Delete = Empty Trash (you'll be asked to confirm, just hit Return)

Grab Screen
Apple + Shift + 3 = Capture Screen (creates a PDF file on your desktop)
Apple + Control + Shift + 3 = Capture Screen to Clipboard

Apple + Shift + 4 = Capture Selection or Hit the spacebar for Photo Grab (creates a PDF file on your desktop)
Apple + Control + Shift + 4 = Capture Selection to Clipboard

System
Apple + Control + Power = Force Restart
(Warning, your system will be forced to restart and you will lose whatever your currently working on. Only use this when your system freezes and FORCE QUIT doesn't work)

FYI: Some Macusers will refer to the Apple key, as Command. Don't be confused, it's the same key. (The one with the Apple symbol on, place at either end of the Spacebar)

Simularly, the Option key is also known as Alt Hope it's not too confussing.

If there are any problems regarding accuracy of this list... please PM or AIM (StyleCode) me with corrections. It helps other's if we try to keep the thread clean, makes it easier to read and search. It's a reference thread, free aid to help other's

Cheers...

PS: Mods & Admins, would it be possible to make this a Sticky? Please.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by hype.it
Apple + Option + Power = Force Restart
(Warning, your system will be forced to restart and you will lose whatever your currently working on. Only use this when your system freezes and FORCE QUIT doesn't work)
So I noticed... :mad:
But for my PowerBook, I have to use Apple + ctrl + power....
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Correction:

Shift + Apple + 3 = Screen Grab or Print Screen (creates a PDF file on your desktop)
Shift + Apple + 4 = Selection Grab or Hit the spacebar for Photo Grab (creates a PDF file on your desktop)

Also, how about
Command + Tab = switch to next application

And the Expose keys might be nice too.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Thanks... I've corrected them..

Thanks for the test Zero.
QUOTE Thanks
gloriroze

What a splendid list! Perfect for all of us recent switchers. Thank you so much for sharing this...

Gloria
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Thanks for that, there were a few that I did not know.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

A couple corrections:
shouldn't be in the Safari section. It should be in the universal section (I see you have it in the Finder section, too. That's good.)

Also, you are kinda inconsistent in "Apple" vs. "Command". They are the same key, and so, it needs to be consistent. (Sorry, I am a <insert your favorite word> about that sort of thing )
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

And, thanks. The F7 one I did not know about (you can make iBooks span -- see http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html), and the backlite ones (I don't have a backlit kb)....And some other ones =)
QUOTE Thanks
Ragle

Ragle is on a distinguished road

What's the Mac equivalent of "Copy Shortcut" from a PC? For example, if I wanted to copy the link of a hyperlinked word without opening the link in a new window or tab and then copying it from the address bar.
QUOTE Thanks
Ragle

Ragle is on a distinguished road

Nevermind. I figured it out by playing around with the Control, Command, and Option keys.

For those who want to know the answer to my above question, place the cursor over the linked word and variously press those keys for different options of what to do with the link.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I use control + mouse click
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

Thankyou so much Hype it. This will help me with my soon coming iMac G3
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

apple + **** + delete = empty trash

this is nice when you use cmd(apl) delete to get ride of something; you can just empty your trash real quick like too.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMoney
apple + **** + delete = empty trash

this is nice when you use cmd(apl) delete to get ride of something; you can just empty your trash real quick like too.
You mean Command + Shift + Delete = Empty Trash
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

Have a look here, it should cover almost everything:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Blocked outgoing TCP packet from | all of my music and playlists are gone from iTunes »