New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Finder: image preview? Where?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jakenoble

jakenoble is on a distinguished road

Why is there no image preview in Finder?

If I want to upload a photo to a web site I click browser, I type in the search field "sky" and it finds the SKY event in iPhoto, then it nicely lists my images as DSC***.jpg which is completely useless.

How do I get it to preview the images, as it does in my Sites/my_website/images folder?

Thanks

A frustrated from a Jake
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Click on the image. not double click. you should see the image on the right pane. Make sure you are in column mode.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (73.9 KB, 50 views)
QUOTE Thanks
jakenoble

yes that works, but I have hundred of images, so do I need to click on each one? Is this going to be the first thing that Windows beats the Mac at?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

In "Icon View" you can see all of them at once if you do the following.

In Finder... Press Cmd+J

In the pop-up select "Show Icon Preview"

Be sure you have "All Windows" selected, then close the View Options Window.

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Ride, that only works in Finder windows. This is for the Browse dialog boxes to select files. NEG REP. NEG REP. NEG REP!

There is no way to see the image preview on the icon in a file select dialog box. You can only preview it the way I pointed out, one at a time.

You can however use this trick...

Open the finder window with your images. Set the view to icon or list. Follow Ride's instructions to view the icon previews.
Now open your browse dialog box again. And ignore it's own navigation.
Find the image you want to use in the finder window. And drag the file onto the browse dialog box. The dialog box will change to that selection. It's a pretty cool shortcut

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
jakenoble

Giulio

good point, and that is what I have been doing since I got my Mac, but its a poor solution for what should be simple
QUOTE Thanks
AZRunner

AZRunner is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM

This is my only complaint since switching. Windows really did this preview nicely, with large images. I'm hoping this gets fixed in Leopard. The column preview in OS X gives you a small image and it's cumbersome to use. Lightroom does an excellent job at previews, but it's pricey.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sliverkeeper vs SuperDuper! vs Carbon Copy Cloner | icons »