New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What was it like when you got your new Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Eisenhammer

Eisenhammer is on a distinguished road

As a pending iMac buyer, I have a question for those who switched from whatever variant of Windows they were using to OS X. What was it like when you first booted up your brand-new, sparkling Mac computer (be it an iMac, Mac Pro, or PowerBook), given that you had your very own Mac and weren't fiddling around with a Mac on display at a store? Did it feel daunting or exciting? Feel free to share your first-time (and subsequent) experiences here ...
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

Ahhh, it was a glorious feeling. I felt free from the chains of my torturous windows bondage. Everything worked flawlessly and i was up and running on my home network in minutes (as opposed to windows which took FOREVER) ahh, I will never turn back to windows. Ever.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
mac0s9user

mac0s9user is a jewel in the roughmac0s9user is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.

New mac? never had a new one. However my second hand mac was great both great and alien when I first booted it up
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

I was pretty excited. I am with all the new things I buy. I was amazed at the fast boot up time. I never really left Windows because I hated it. I only left it because I wanted to try something new.
QUOTE Thanks
cheetahastra

cheetahastra will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video

I was really excited when I got my iMac C2D home last month. I was thrilled just putting in my name and taking my account picture with the iSight Cam.

Much better than windows - I love the boot up time!!
Non-full screen World of Warcraft is handy too to be able to have Thottbot open and be able to control iTunes without "Alt-Tabbing" back to desktop.

Friend of mine liked mine so much - he only used it for 2 minutes - he bought a iMac C2D in the 2.4ghz 20" last weekend!

2007 iMac 20" 2.0Ghz w/ Wireless Mighty Mouse
2010 iPhone 3GS 32GB - White
2008 iPod Video / 5th Generation 30GB - Black
2006 HP Pavilion DV4206TU Notebook
QUOTE Thanks
AduNeButt

AduNeButt is on a distinguished road

Before receiving my first Mac, which happened to be a new MacBook, I was so used to PCs that it was so exciting booting in to a brand new OS..If you aren't experienced with OS X, you will be in for a cool experience when you first boot it up.
QUOTE Thanks
BlackCivic

BlackCivic is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd

before getting my mac, i spent 3 months researching, reading, and reading everything on Mac's... to surmise it all into one word, "WOW"
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

Well it took me ages to get the network set up (PC problem) but could never get Airport to work for me. Ended up threading an ethernet cable through the whole house. Then we moved and the network got completely screwed up again (what is with PCs and not being able to move house and keep a network!?) which I eventually fixed... and I decided to give Airport a go again and bam! It just... worked. Odd, but I couldn't complain.

First booting up my Mac... everyone was crowding around watching, waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Initial startup was very slow! Once it was up and running, best experience of my life. Took me a couple of weeks to get used to it but once I was it was pure bliss.

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
tacsniper

tacsniper is an unknown at this point

I started Apple computers with my macbook just a month ago. First experience... WOW!! Amazing laptop! Its a real LAPTOP! Not the junk you get from HP/Compaq that is gigantic where its a desktop. Awesome design. Now if you've never used a mac before, here is where its gets tricky, you have to learn how to use a mac. Which took me about 3 days to learn how to use it. Over all, I don't look back at windows anymore, except for when I am at work. I am planning to purchase a 24" iMac sometime next year. =D
QUOTE Thanks
Lucibel

Lucibel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch

I was just happy and couldn't wait to start trying it out ^^

Best computer I've had (so far)...
QUOTE Thanks
naftalim

naftalim is on a distinguished road

Given that I waited 27 years to get a Mac it was a special day. My first computer was an Apple IIe in 1980 and then I was stuck in the Windows world till last month.

The first best thing was having it ready to go right when I connected it. No drivers to worry about, I could get going right away. My last PC was a Compaq laptop running Vista.

I've had it just over 1 month, and feel quite comfortable with it now. In fact, I still use Windows at work, and I am constantly going to the left upper side of the Window to close or pressing Command Q.

Also. the help provided by this community as well as on the Apple Discussions board has been great.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Before opening it, I put the box on the table and stared at that for ten full minutes. Yep! even the glorious box got my juices running. Nearly a month later and it still just gets better and better!
QUOTE Thanks
Bruki

Bruki will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone

I recently bought my 1st mac, an intel imac & I was just amazed that less than half an hour after I picked it up from the store I had it up & running on my desk.

So simple to set up (if you can call it a set up) so simple to use & great to live with.
QUOTE Thanks
Mo_274

Mo_274 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black

It was awesome ! let me just tell u this :
I switched after 13 years of being MS OS user.
Switched my iMac on,
Transfered all my data from my PC Laptop
Haven't touched the laptop in 3 weeks that should explain enough I think

I'm loving it
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

as soon as I unboxed it I was excited and anxious. The first time I turned it on it found my wireless network straight away and conncected with no problems whatsoever, from that moment on I thought "hey, i'm gonna be ok here", I haven't looked back.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Considering a macbook for next work laptop, but what office application is safest? | Need help please »