New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook - Faulty Macbooks vs. ones that work perfectly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ninapants

Ninapants is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Whenever I read reviews on the Macbook, or look at these forums, I see two types of situations. One, you are really happy with your new Macbook and it has been perfect with no problems. Two, you are very disappointed with your Macbook because it has been giving you nothing but problems. I saw a lot of both of these especially in the Amazon.com reviews for the MB, but thankfully the good reviews outweighed the bad. Still, all of this almost makes me worried to buy my new MB in fear of it being faulty when I take it out of the box.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Forums are places where a lot of people come to get help with and complain about problems. It's a shame, but many people only ever come here for help, but once their problems are solved, never stick around to talk about how much they like their machines. Same goes for product review sites - people that are having problems are far more likely to complain about them than those that do not.

Whether it's a forum about cars, computers or whatever widget you can think of, forums are never a good gauge of reliability. A small fraction of the machines that Apple sells are represented here, and those that are represented are usually done so because they have issues. Apple happens to have one of the highest reliability ratings in the industry.

Simply stated - if you want a Macbook, just buy it. Statistically speaking, you'll have no issues.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Vodevil

Vodevil is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro. 16GB iPod Touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Forums are places where a lot of people come to get help with and complain about problems. It's a shame, but many people only ever come here for help, but once their problems are solved, never stick around to talk about how much they like their machines. Same goes for product review sites - people that are having problems are far more likely to complain about them than those that do not.

Whether it's a forum about cars, computers or whatever widget you can think of, forums are never a good gauge of reliability. A small fraction of the machines that Apple sells are represented here, and those that are represented are usually done so because they have issues. Apple happens to have one of the highest reliability ratings in the industry.

Simply stated - if you want a Macbook, just buy it. Statistically speaking, you'll have no issues.
And even if you do have a problem, Apple will probably take care of it. So don't worry about it!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

true, just buy it you'll have no problems.......
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

...and if you do, Apple support is excellent (at least out here in India).
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

No worries, Nina. The current MacBook design has been around for quite a while. It's a very reliable computer.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
Ninapants

Ninapants is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Thanks. I feel a lot better now =]
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Yeah, it is a shame that so many people leave. =[
QUOTE Thanks
tacsniper

tacsniper is an unknown at this point

I wouldn't worry about it, if its faulty you can return it to apple and get a new one. Unless its the new iMac freezing issue... then you just have wait for a new update x_x
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Failure / problem rate is probably around 2%. Pretty much the same as for any large electronics manufacturer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A few questions to Canadian users | Virus protection »