New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

total newbie!


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
daughter_anna
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

hello fellow mac-aholics! i'm switching to mac very soon (15 inch powerbook g4!) and am in desperate need of some feedback.

i've been a pc user my whole life, and have no mac experience whatsoever. the only experience i have of it was a touch of the keyboard. technically, zero experience.

so, my major is graphic design and will be spending loads of time using photoshop. photoshop was installed on my pc and i managed to burn it on a cd, tried installing on a different pc and tada! works like a pro

anyway, will i be able to install photoshop using this same cd?

also, if you have any advice you can give a total newbie- ie: any programs i should download, what programs to run when i recieve it, things to check before the purchase etc.. pls let me know! thanks!

p.s: i am SOOO looking forward to my 15 inch powerbook g4 purchase! it may be very pricey, but then again.. there is no mac in heaven right? carpe diem! CHEERS!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

 
Member Since: Jul 22, 2003
Location: Hamilton College
Posts: 7,003
trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

trpnmonkey41 is offline
your pc photoshop will not work on macs....they have their own version

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

 
hype.it's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 27, 2004
Location: China
Posts: 738
hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

hype.it is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by daughter_anna
hello fellow mac-aholics! i'm switching to mac very soon (15 inch powerbook g4!) and am in desperate need of some feedback.

i've been a pc user my whole life, and have no mac experience whatsoever. the only experience i have of it was a touch of the keyboard. technically, zero experience.

so, my major is graphic design and will be spending loads of time using photoshop. photoshop was installed on my pc and i managed to burn it on a cd, tried installing on a different pc and tada! works like a pro

anyway, will i be able to install photoshop using this same cd?

also, if you have any advice you can give a total newbie- ie: any programs i should download, what programs to run when i recieve it, things to check before the purchase etc.. pls let me know! thanks!

p.s: i am SOOO looking forward to my 15 inch powerbook g4 purchase! it may be very pricey, but then again.. there is no mac in heaven right? carpe diem! CHEERS!

First thing I'd do is check everything it ships with is in the box, then set everything up according the the manual (but it's fool proof) next plug in the power and startup then install the OS.

While it's installing you might wanna browse through the manuals (i know non of the guys here do) but it's acutally interesting to know how to use your new toy without resorting to online support. Plus you'll get to know what all the ports and cables do and how to install the OS and what to do next. Basically, it's just for personal knowledge.

After your done, you might wanna look around get a little more familiar with everything. Oh, one of the first things you'll discover... there's only ONE button on the trackpad (don't worry, you can used Ctrl+Click for right click.Option+Click and Apple+Click also do things, in different applications.)

If your Adobe applications were brought recently (boxed versions) then changing platforms isn't a problem as the original installer disks include both Mac and Windows versions. However, according to the license agreement your only allowed to run one copy of the application, at any one time. Otherwise, you might have to obtain another version as your Windows versions won't work.

Hate to tell you this, but all the Window applications you have been using won't work on the PowerBook or the PowerMacintosh Platform, we have our own versions. If your planning to use the machine for Graphic Design then i suggest you invest in a good mouse (the Apple one is good, not the Bluetooth version as there is a delay or lag.) using a is much easier to draw and lay down illustrations you got more control.

Anyway, welcome to the Apple Community.
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

instal the os? Gee - what kind of powerbook you expect her to get? I mean, clearly the os is going to be preinstalled...'least I hope so.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

 
hype.it's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 27, 2004
Location: China
Posts: 738
hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

hype.it is offline
Nop... When you buy a new PowerBook, chances are one part of the OS is installed. On powering up, it'll ask for your system install cd/dvd. At least in the UK and in HK they come like this... dunno about the USA.

If your system come with pre-installed OS then your suppiler may of tested your Macintosh before shipping or maybe they installed some additional ram and they test for incompatibility.

I hate it when suppilers place their shipping stickers directly on the Black Apple Box, so annoying...
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

eh, it's a small price to pay. I know when I powered up my powerbook, it didn't ask me for the os CD. But I had the apple store install a gig of ram for me, so what do I know?
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Brand new Mac will come with OS preinstalled, but unconfigured. As you boot the first time you will be able to set up time zone, network, and your first login ID. You do NOT need a disc inserted for those. You never need to take the system CD out of the sleeve unless you reinstall the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

My Powerbook asked for the disc first time I switched it on. So did my dad's. This was after setting up time zone etc. It never asked for disc 2 though.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

 
hype.it's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 27, 2004
Location: China
Posts: 738
hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

hype.it is offline
I tell you, if you buy a PowerMac and I mean Brand New! Fresh from the factory, unopened and untouched buy your supplier. On powering up, you will be asked for the Installer CD.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by hype.it
I tell you, if you buy a PowerMac and I mean Brand New! Fresh from the factory, unopened and untouched buy your supplier. On powering up, you will be asked for the Installer CD.
I think this is only outside the US. I've never heard of this for any functional US Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

 
Member Since: Jul 22, 2003
Location: Hamilton College
Posts: 7,003
trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

trpnmonkey41 is offline
Yea that doesn't happen in the US

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

 
hype.it's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 27, 2004
Location: China
Posts: 738
hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

hype.it is offline
Ah... then I guess you'll never know was your Mac a former ex-demo machine. At-least you know it's working.
QUOTE Thanks
Brigrat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

there is no need for a disk on first start up, and you know it wasn't a demo, because you have to set it up and register it on first logon. The US really is great!
QUOTE Thanks
Ragle

 
Ragle's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 26, 2004
Posts: 67
Ragle is on a distinguished road

Ragle is offline
Like the original author of this thread, my experience with modern Apple machines has been limited to fiddling with the keyboard at CompUSA and a brief encounter with a friend's iBook several months back. Those experiences, combined with what I know of Apple's history along with my own distaste for Microsoft's blunderings are enough to convince me to switch, cold-turkey.

In other words, once I switch, my Apple will be the only computer I own!

That said, I anticipate switching sometime in the next month or so. There have been several interested nibbles on my PC offer (posted here and here) and I will likely have it sold or traded before the end of August.

In the meantime, I want to begin my research on the operating system and what I can expect from the machine overall. Being an avid e-book collecter (Rocket eBook 1100), starting a collection covering all things Apple seems like a good place to start.

Does anyone have such files or volumes they can send to me? I have a Google email account, so space isn't really a consideration if you happen to have a 50 meg PDF file. Thanks in advance and I look forward to not only this new learning experience, but also the world of Apple computing!

Please respond to bragle@gmail.com. Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
gloriroze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragle
Like the original author of this thread, my experience with modern Apple machines has been limited to fiddling with the keyboard at CompUSA and a brief encounter with a friend's iBook several months back. Those experiences, combined with what I know of Apple's history along with my own distaste for Microsoft's blunderings are enough to convince me to switch, cold-turkey.

In other words, once I switch, my Apple will be the only computer I own!

That said, I anticipate switching sometime in the next month or so. There have been several interested nibbles on my PC offer (posted here and here) and I will likely have it sold or traded before the end of August.

In the meantime, I want to begin my research on the operating system and what I can expect from the machine overall. Being an avid e-book collecter (Rocket eBook 1100), starting a collection covering all things Apple seems like a good place to start.

Does anyone have such files or volumes they can send to me? I have a Google email account, so space isn't really a consideration if you happen to have a 50 meg PDF file. Thanks in advance and I look forward to not only this new learning experience, but also the world of Apple computing!

Please respond to bragle@gmail.com. Thanks again!
I'm just making the switch myself and did ALOT of reading beforehand.
I know you said you're an e-book collector, but I've found an excellent manual
by David Pogue. It is called OS X-The Missing Manual. I'm waiting on my G4P Powerbook to arrive on Friday!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« print screen.... | backup of apple software »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
newbie Q - how to wait for keystroke in gcc/xcode ?? xr600 OS X - Development and Darwin 3 05-29-2004 03:37 PM
Total format Bluewolf Switcher Hangout 1 02-21-2004 02:55 PM
Newbie with a 17" iMac Fahrvergnugen OS X - Operating System 3 01-07-2004 03:03 AM
Newbie Mozilla Questions jchae Web Design and Hosting 0 10-30-2003 02:24 AM
Newbie Questions Jon Switcher Hangout 3 07-14-2003 09:38 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?