New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Leap of faith!


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
gloriroze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

After being driven crazy trying to stay ahead of adware, spyware, pop-ups, and other annoyances on my Dell computer, I'm making the switch to a Mac! I took a giant leap of faith and ordered a Powerbook G4 yesterday and can't wait to get it. Hopefully it will arrive this week. I talked at length with one of my friends who is a die-hard Mac user and he said he NEVER has to worry about whether or not his computer is going to work or not. What a relief that will be for me! You see, I'm going to be teaching an online course for doctoral students and I don't have time to have daily arguments with my computer!

Since I'm totally new to the Mac world, I'd welcome any and all tips for getting off to a good start with my PowerBook. I'd love to hear from other switchers like me!

All the best,
Gloria
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

sup? I just got my 15 inch powerbook maybe a little bit over a month ago. Good stuff. The glowing apple is what really sold me.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

WTG mate, make no mistake you WILL love it

If you ever use it at work or anywhere else, get a Kensington lock.
QUOTE Thanks
gloriroze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
sup? I just got my 15 inch powerbook maybe a little bit over a month ago. Good stuff. The glowing apple is what really sold me.
Did you have any prior experience with a Mac? Was it pretty easy to find your way around and get everything set up?
QUOTE Thanks
gloriroze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane
WTG mate, make no mistake you WILL love it

If you ever use it at work or anywhere else, get a Kensington lock.
I'm ready to fall in love with it! Please pardon my ignorance...what is a Kensington lock?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriroze
I'm ready to fall in love with it! Please pardon my ignorance...what is a Kensington lock?
All Apple laptops (and most others) have a special connector that can accept a locking cable, to prevent theft. Kensington is the most well-known manufacturer of such devices. (Cloudane just had his laptop stolen )

Besides that, some setup tips:

1. Calibrate your battery by charging it completely, and then using the laptop on battery power until it goes to sleep. (Instructions will be in the manual.)

2. Use Software Update to download and install any OS or security updates. The Software Update command is in the Apple menu.

3. I'm sure whiteshark will be in shortly, to tell you about permissions repairs and cron jobs (MacJanitor.)
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

 
hype.it's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 27, 2004
Location: China
Posts: 738
hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

hype.it is offline
WELCOME TO THE POWER MACINTOSH!
It's like entering the matrix, only better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
I'm sure whiteshark will be in shortly, to tell you about permissions repairs and cron jobs (MacJanitor.)
Like does he ever say anything else? :rolleyes:
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

listen dude, you're going to love that little machine............i've had mine for 3 weeks now (15" 1.33 ghz powerbook) it's GREAT!....i've been a Windows users for 12 years....and let me tell you........

THE VERY FIRST TIME i touched a mac, was when i bought this beast!....and in 3 weeks i've been able to do it all! (well the only thing i havent done YET, is transfer my files located in my PC hard drive, and that's because i need to connect through ethernet and transfer the files......i still don't know how to do this.............but i know i'll somehow manage to do it!.........but in the mean time, i'm downloading music, surfing the web, listening to music, writing word documents etc. etc. with this beast!......and i've only had 3 weeks of OS X experience!

you'll do fine!
QUOTE Thanks
gloriroze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
All Apple laptops (and most others) have a special connector that can accept a locking cable, to prevent theft. Kensington is the most well-known manufacturer of such devices. (Cloudane just had his laptop stolen )

Besides that, some setup tips:

1. Calibrate your battery by charging it completely, and then using the laptop on battery power until it goes to sleep. (Instructions will be in the manual.)

2. Use Software Update to download and install any OS or security updates. The Software Update command is in the Apple menu.

3. I'm sure whiteshark will be in shortly, to tell you about permissions repairs and cron jobs (MacJanitor.)
Thanks for these great tips! Exactly what I"m looking for....
QUOTE Thanks
gloriroze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytpg
listen dude, you're going to love that little machine............i've had mine for 3 weeks now (15" 1.33 ghz powerbook) it's GREAT!....i've been a Windows users for 12 years....and let me tell you........

THE VERY FIRST TIME i touched a mac, was when i bought this beast!....and in 3 weeks i've been able to do it all! (well the only thing i havent done YET, is transfer my files located in my PC hard drive, and that's because i need to connect through ethernet and transfer the files......i still don't know how to do this.............but i know i'll somehow manage to do it!.........but in the mean time, i'm downloading music, surfing the web, listening to music, writing word documents etc. etc. with this beast!......and i've only had 3 weeks of OS X experience!

you'll do fine!
And do you happen to know the most efficient way to transfer files? I have some Word, .pdf, and photos to move into my new G4...

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

 
Padawan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 21, 2003
Location: Coruscant, Galactic Republic
Posts: 1,185
Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Padawan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriroze
And do you happen to know the most efficient way to transfer files? I have some Word, .pdf, and photos to move into my new G4...

Thanks!
There are methods of doing this via a network or direct cable connection, but when I got my iBook, I just burned all of my old files onto a CD and then put it into the iBook to copy them over. Of course, if your old machine doesn't have a CD burner, that won't work.

By the way, although crons, repair permissions, and MacJanitor were all already mentioned, my one main suggestion for every new Mac owner is to download the free application OnyX. It makes maintaining your Mac extremely easy, and while there are ways to perform all of the actions manually without using OnyX, I think it's much easier (especially for new users) to have everything available in one interface with a few clicks of the mouse.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
gloriroze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
There are methods of doing this via a network or direct cable connection, but when I got my iBook, I just burned all of my old files onto a CD and then put it into the iBook to copy them over. Of course, if your old machine doesn't have a CD burner, that won't work.

By the way, although crons, repair permissions, and MacJanitor were all already mentioned, my one main suggestion for every new Mac owner is to download the free application OnyX. It makes maintaining your Mac extremely easy, and while there are ways to perform all of the actions manually without using OnyX, I think it's much easier (especially for new users) to have everything available in one interface with a few clicks of the mouse.
I'll DEFINITELY download OnyX--it looks fantastic! Perfect for a new user like me....thank you so much, Padawan!
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Props to OnyX, it's a wonderful program. How ALL free progs should be.
QUOTE Thanks
natomui
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

definitely looking forward to the book drive, as opposed to the clumsy cd trays that I've had on my other laptops...I don't know why other computer makers don't follow apple's example.
QUOTE Thanks
gloriroze
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

What do most of you use as a word processing program?

Thanks for all the tips!
Gloria
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« ram problem | Mac is like a PDA »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?