New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hi guys

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CFX

Hey all, just a new member here. I have currently been looking for a Macintosh forum to hang out with since I am getting my new Mac soon. It will be a Power PC G5, I think that is what it is called. This will be my very first Mac ever. I am so exited because I do webdevelopement and programming. I have heard that Macs are the best for it.

Well I am extremely excited but nervous at the same time. I was wondering if anyone of you guys could help me out. Like I said I am EXTREMELY new to Macs. There is one thing I am unsure of, I am learning to program in C++ and I dont know any Mac compilers out there. If you guys know of any similar to the Windows DevC++ or Visual C++ that is free or cheep or just give a price. Thanks.

I was also wondering, is there any good web developement programs for webdesign for Macs? I used photoshop and dreamweaver and flash on this pc. Know of anything good for Macs too? Thanks.

[EDIT] What would I use for HTML and all those languages? Also are there any cool simple Mac languages I could start to learn? BTW what are some good Mac programs. Thanks,
Russ
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You can just call it a G5 and everybody knows what you are talking about

XCode which will come with your G5 can program in C++

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/xcode/

Dreamweaver is still the most popular webdesign program

The only real language you can learn is how to do everything in OS X's Terminal

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
CFX

Ok thank you so much. I have a couple other questions. My friend is on a PC and we are doing C++ together, if I use xCode and do my coding and applications can I send it to him and it will work?

What are some good webdesigning programs that are cheep for Macs, I did see dreamweaver. Can you download them for Macs like you did on PC?

Thanks,
Russ
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

I am not a programmer but I would assume you can save it in a format that you friend can view since it is the same language.

I don't know of any other webdesign programs (I just use HTML).
For the downloading question I am assuming you mean off of macromedias website since thats the only legal way then yes you can.

QUOTE Thanks
CFX

Ok thanks a ton, what do you use to code HTML?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

BBEdit

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
BBEdit
Got that right. The ideal Mac web development "tool kit" consists of one copy of BBEdit (text) and one copy of Dreamweaver (WYSIWYG.)
QUOTE Thanks
CFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
Got that right. The ideal Mac web development "tool kit" consists of one copy of BBEdit (text) and one copy of Dreamweaver (WYSIWYG.)
What tool kit?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

not a tool kit but the selection of programs for a web developer should include both of them

QUOTE Thanks
CFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
not a tool kit but the selection of programs for a web developer should include both of them
I have been on Apple.com and looking at the features for OS X so all of this comes free with it? What other programs for developement come free with it?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX
I have been on Apple.com and looking at the features for OS X so all of this comes free with it? What other programs for developement come free with it?
Perl comes with it
QUOTE Thanks
CFX

I was also wondering how fast this computer would be. I'm getting 1.8Ghz I think. So what is that equivilent to in a PC speed?
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX
Ok thank you so much. I have a couple other questions. My friend is on a PC and we are doing C++ together, if I use xCode and do my coding and applications can I send it to him and it will work?

What are some good webdesigning programs that are cheep for Macs, I did see dreamweaver. Can you download them for Macs like you did on PC?

Thanks,
Russ

If your goona write code for platform porting, then may i suggest you use the CodeWarrior Technology, although it's not cheap, you can port to just about any platform using IDE's.

Quote:
About the CodeWarrior Technology
The backbone of all of our software tools is the CodeWarrior™ integrated development environment (IDE). Using the CodeWarrior IDE, developers get the benefit of using common functionality across a broad range of processors and platforms from Motorola to Texas Instruments to Intel. The CodeWarrior compiler and debugger are ranked #1 in usage among commercially available embedded software development tools according to a Gartner Dataquest report. And those are only two of our popular CodeWarrior software development tools. Our offering includes all of the key tools necessary to build platforms and applications — IDE, compiler, debugger, editor, linker, assembler, etc. In addition, the CodeWarrior IDE allows developers to plug in their favorite tools, giving them the freedom to work the way they want.

By combining state-of-the-art debugging technology with the simplicity of a robust development environment, Metrowerks CodeWarrior Development Studio takes C/C++ source-level debugging and embedded application development to a new level. The development studio provides a highly visual and automated framework that accelerates the development of even the most complex applications, so creating applications is fast and easy for developers of all experience levels.

It is a single development environment that is consistent across all supported workstations and personal computers. On each of the supported platforms, the features and uses are identical. There is no need to worry about host-to-host incompatibilities.

Apple's Xcode is good, if your gonna develop for the Mac OSX platform, after all, thats why they give it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX

If your going to use server technology on your G5 Then you might want to ser up your localhost witht the "PHP Apache Module (latest version 4.3.6)" then maybe either MySQL or PostgreSQL Database Server.

You can get the software from here... Entropy

Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFX
I was also wondering how fast this computer would be. I'm getting 1.8Ghz I think. So what is that equivilent to in a PC speed?
I've never used a G5 before, but according to the spec G5 is much faster on floating point than on integer calculations. Doing everyday tasks, it's probably comparable to 2GHz Pentium 4. Doing floating point intensive tasks will be comparable to 3GHz Pentium 4.

The UI might not feel as snappy on your Mac, depending on your videocard. The reason for that is OS X UI is heavily 3D accelerated. On your Mac, getting a good 3D videocard is going to improve not just the gaming, but it will also improve everyday use of UI.
QUOTE Thanks
CFX

Ok, guys. Im actually not sure what to get. For a G5 could you guys maybe customize me one? This is what I will be doing, webdesign, programming and one game with some various other stuff. But I do want a GOOD computer with the newest tech. So if you could customize a laptop and a G5 and show me the specs, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple has a new costumer | My first Apple has just shipped! »