New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr my poor baby :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cloudane

My powerbook got stolen this morning. GRR.. hmmph... *sobs*
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

You have the serial number right? I know it's unlikely to help but everything's worth a shot
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

oh wow, that is the saddest thing I've ever heard in my life...how did it get stolen?
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

eek... from where?

also, if you have insurance on it, you may be able to get money for it... lost data sucks big time... but at least you may get a powerbook back
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Got nicked from work.. I left it downstairs in the shop area for about 10 mins whilst going up for a bite to eat, thought "oops I left it downstairs" and (even though there's always someone down there), there it was gone. Probably some arsehole is now happily feeding his drug addiction for a few months

Police basically said, no CCTV, nothing they can (or are willing to) do.. worthless lot.

Lesson very painfully learned.. I'm probably getting a replacement through household insurance thankfully - I have the serial number, receipts etc - but there's still 50 excess and a whole bunch of data (along with a copy of all my emails, I'll have to check for any important passwords and change them) lost, which is a very painful lesson. They could've nicked anything else and I wouldn't have minded so much, but my Powerbook was like another person
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

hope your company has insurance... you could make a claim, right?
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Looks like the house insurance will cover it, unsure on the work one (they go for the cheapest of everything, I doubt it covers employees' personal items)

Ironically, they were only just fitting a (cheap and nasty) security keypad this afternoon, of all the times for it to go walkies there were already holes drilled in the door waiting for someone to pull their fingers out and fit it.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Oops! Here's hoping u get a sparkling new one from ur insurance money.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudane
Looks like the house insurance will cover it, unsure on the work one (they go for the cheapest of everything, I doubt it covers employees' personal items)

Ironically, they were only just fitting a (cheap and nasty) security keypad this afternoon, of all the times for it to go walkies there were already holes drilled in the door waiting for someone to pull their fingers out and fit it.
*replace your security keypad with one that make silly noises and does nothing else!*

hehe
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Hey now, there's no reason to replace it with a PC
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Hopefully, you don't have any account numbers on it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Just an update, the replacement is all arranged now and should be sent on Monday (possibly earlier, the guy said)

They're even paying for the Apple memory upgrade, even though I told them that I bought the original stick from Crucial and it'd be much cheaper for them to do the same. Thumbs up for Alliance and Liecester (insurance co) and The Source (supplier).

50 quid down, but happy to be getting one back.

Incidentally I saw my most likely suspect(s) today. One guy about 18-19, another about 16-17 were hanging around outside all day watching the windows. Several people noticed them. I saw the older one come in, try door to the sales warehouse only to find it'd been fitted with a security keypad and walk straight out, not running but fast paced. Anyone else, like the rest of our customers, would've come upstairs (where he didn't notice me watching) and ask to be let in to look around.

He then came back an hour later with his mate and this time came upstairs to reception. I let them through and of all the warehouse they could've gone they made a beeline *straight* to my area where the laptop was (I bet they were looking for the power supply they forgot last time), asked about the price of the nearest object they could find and left. They spent the rest of the day kicking a ball around outside and I caught them looking up at the office windows upstairs a few times.

Very dodgy... or maybe I'm just paranoid... it'd seem strange for the person who took it to come back and hang around.

BTW I never leave financial data unencrypted and didn't get time to put any on before it got nicked, so no problems there. There were a few passwords to online sites etc that I've now changed though!

First thing I've done is order a lock, first thing on arrival will be to encrypt the home dir, which I never got around to doing first time
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hehe... batt dead! ok... were's the nearest Apple store and how much are they where you live?
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

I'm not sure if they even have brick-and-mortar stores in the UK. I've never seen one. PC World only supply the full systems I believe... so they'd probably have to steal a credit card and order from Apple directly at 65 (equates to about US$90?).

Kinda hoping the original one doesn't turn up now lol... the insurance people would probably want the newer one back rather than the original at a guess and goodness knows what'll condition the original might be in. Cosmetic damage == tough luck. On the other hand I hope they are caught and get what they deserve *shrugs*
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Hey cloudane. Where did this laptop get nicked.. like what part of what city... and what insurance plan are u on. Alliance and Liecester sound good to me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie Questions | Question about iLife »