stray
    Sticky trackpad on new to me '03 ibook G4
    A kind soul has given me their lovely G4 ibook. The only problem I'm experiencing is that occasionally the trackpad will go haywire, and either bounce from one side of the screen to the other, or move very grudgingly only a couple of cm, and then bounce back to its original position. I suspect that the trackpad's membranes are sticking together or something else hardware related, but as a Mac newbie, i'd appreciate any advice.

C.

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    This happens whenever there is more than one "contact" on the trackpad. (Try resting a second finger on the trackpad while trying to use it; you'll get exactly this behavior.)

A little moisture on the trackpad will cause it to behave like that; if your hands are even a little wet or sweaty, try drying them off and then carefully wiping the trackpad. (I'm just guessing, but very high humidity might also make it do that.)

If this doesn't seem to be the case, you may indeed have a defective or damaged trackpad.

Matt
    This happens to my Sony Vaio. I think software conflict thing, cause if you restart it, everything is OK.

Specs:
    Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
    if it's too much hassle then buy a cheap third party USB mouse. 90% of PC mice work on macs.

Mookamoo
    Mine sticks as well, which can be a pain.

Given up with it and use a mouse. You work twice as quick, even with a non-sticking pad thingmy.

Specs:
    Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
    Dust and dirt makes the trackpad go mad... not on the surface but inside. You can try cleaning it, but to be honest, it's too much hassle. Plus you could kill your Mac!!!

Thread Information