New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What's the best OSX book to get?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cloudane

Just after opinions on books about OS X, as both myself and my father got a 12" PowerBook at the same time. Whilst I pick up new interfaces etc fairly quickly, I think a book would help for those special tricks that make things so much faster (I know just about all of them for Windoze) and I find a good book much more informative and easy to read that some ad-filled website with a separate link for every "tip" they deem appropriate to include. As for my dad, he's so lost in the "mount a disk image" idea and application "shortcuts" really being containers and would benefit greatly from a book to explain this compared with my feeble attempts.

The O'Reilly pocketbook on OS X seems like a nice, well-priced option by a reputable publisher, but some of the larger books also seem good. So I'm looking for any "you must get THIS book" type ideas
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I'd suggest Mac OS X: The Missing Manual by David Pogue for your dad, and maybe one of the O'Reilly books for yourself. The O'Reilleys tend to be better for the "power user" types, but might be over your dad's head.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I'd like to add Dr Mac's (Bob Levitus) The OS X Files It's a very concise book
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PCMCIA and 12" Powerbook G4 | Sound Recording Application »