Specs:
    13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
    Office 2008 student and teacher edition
    I was going to buy office 2008 student and teacher edition, but just wanted to ask, if i was going to buy it from a website like amazon, how would i prove that i am a student? do i need to send them ID or do they not ask?

what amazon says....
    I don't think there is any 'check' as such. I am planning to buy office 08 whenever it comes out for an imac. This is what amazon says:

Eligibility
    *IMPORTANT NOTE:You can only purchase this product if you are a qualifying student, parent, guardian or teacher as described below. Please note that all software is for the educational use of the qualifying user and is not for any commercial use. Usage rights end as soon as the qualifying user ceases to be eligible through graduation or change of educational status.

Eligibility for student licence Students: Full or part-time student aged five or over enrolled on a course that will deliver an academic qualification publicly recognised by the Department for Education & Skills (DfES) or the Irish Department of Education (DOE)

I do actually qualify, but have not actually tried purchasing yet. i am not sure what the difference between this an expensive version is either i am afraid.
    Edit: by the way, I live in the UK.

Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    When i bought my mbp as a student (which i am) i sent him my GCSE results which i got last yr.

Specs:
    24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by gribble View Post
    i am not sure what the difference between this an expensive version is either i am afraid.
    I think the only difference is that the educational versions can not be upgraded. I'm not sure this applies to every software package, but I know it applies to most, if not all.

Specs:
    24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
    I saw this on macrumors right after I posted. Looks like there is a difference in versions.

Version Notable Features Price
    Home and Student Edition Contains all core Office products, but lacks Exchange support. $149.95(full version only)
    Standard Edition Core products, including Exchange support and support for Automator workflows. $399.95(full)/$239.95(upgrade)
    Special Media Edition Standard Edition plus Expression Media for Mac (Windows product link) $499.95(full)/$299.95(upgrade)

I don't use Exchange and I qualify for the educational version, so that version meets my needs.

Specs:
    iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRunner View Post
    I saw this on macrumors right after I posted. Looks like there is a difference in versions.

Version Notable Features Price
    Home and Student Edition Contains all core Office products, but lacks Exchange support. $149.95(full version only)
    Standard Edition Core products, including Exchange support and support for Automator workflows. $399.95(full)/$239.95(upgrade)
    Special Media Edition Standard Edition plus Expression Media for Mac (Windows product link) $499.95(full)/$299.95(upgrade)

I don't use Exchange and I qualify for the educational version, so that version meets my needs.
    499? Thats more than OS X! Lol

Specs:
    MBP l iPhone l iPod
    when i installed the 04 i never had to show if i was a student or not

Specs:
    Yh MS is funny, they charge as much for they Office suite as they do for an entire OS.... just doesn't make sense

My wife got Office for Mac through campus computer services for $7.00!

You may want to check into what your school offers before dropping the cash on it.
    iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station

Specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
    And people say the iPod and iPhone are expensive? Microsoft software has always been expensive, they just don't realise it because Windows is usually bundled with their PC.

You could get Works 08, iLife 08 and OS X Leopard for the same price as the Pro version of Office 2008.

Specs:
    The only reason i need office 08 is because of compatibility. If i make a document in pages 08 and then try and open it in MS Office it doesn't display properly (especially text boxes, graphics and images). This is the same for neoffice as well. So really I have no choice but to buy MS Office 2008

Specs:
    2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
    I get the latest Office bundle for free through my University.

Specs:
    15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
    be aware if you use Exchange. The 2008 Office Student/Teacher version will not support MS Exchange syncing.

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    The license has changed anyway. The 2008 Office suite has Student and Home as an edition.

Anyone can buy Home, regardless whether or not you're a student. The restriction is that you may not use the software for professional purposes. This is a tough one for me, because occasionally I open work documents on my Mac... but I am a student... I obiovusly have an enterprise Office suite on my work machine.

The other big difference is there is no exchange support in Entourage in the home edition... not a major loss for 99% of people.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Thread Information