New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How do I force quit?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smallvillefan

smallvillefan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20", 2.4ghz, 2GB/320GB

I have a firefox page that is not responding AT ALL. I've tried Command Q. I don't know how to do all those fancy symbols that the Apple menu tells me to do to Force Quit.

The rest of the computer and apps work fine, and I needed to open up another firefox window. I don't really want to control-alt-delete, I have a feeling that's not what I want.

Should I just shut 'er down?
QUOTE Thanks
DoneDeal

DoneDeal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS

To force quit, go to the dock (bottom of screen) hold down the Firefox logo, you should be given an option to force quit.
Hope I could help.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Command + Option + Escape keys will bring up (most of the time) the Force Quit window.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

And third, go up to the Apple icon, scroll down to Force Quit.
QUOTE Thanks
verbatim210

verbatim210 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There is a thing called "Activity Monitor" which is the Mac equivalent or greater than of "Task Manager" from Windoze.

Launch if from Dock or press Command + Space and search for it.

Or you can just right-click on Firefox from the Dock and click on "force quit".
QUOTE Thanks
smallvillefan

Thanks! I did the command-option-escape. It closed it down. Upon doing that, I realized the problem was that my son had been using Safari, not Firefox. No wonder holding down the Firefox logo wasn't working! But thanks, I'll remember that little tidbit for if it ever happens again!
QUOTE Thanks
smallvillefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
And third, go up to the Apple icon, scroll down to Force Quit.
I had tried the Apple icon, but the entire screen wasn't responding, I had a little rainbow circle even up there.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
Sagebrush

Sagebrush is on a distinguished road

I have a new mac book pro and after trying all the various connections still cannot force quit anything. Just have a swirling color ball. What to do?
QUOTE Thanks
Sagebrush

Sagebrush is on a distinguished road

Tried all suggestions. (not 'connections', that was auto-correct that did that!)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Option+Command+Escape should bring up a force quit window. If not, open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities), find the application in the list and push the Quit Process button in the toolbar.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you are getting a swirling beachball no matter WHAT you do, the best thing to do is walk away for a while. Like 20 minutes.

If it's still doing that when you come back, only THEN would I suggest you press and hold the power button for four seconds. This WILL shut the machine off.

Upon restarting I would recommend running your favourite utility program (OnyX or Maintenance or Applejack suggested) to prevent directory damage (forced shutoffs are never a good thing).
QUOTE Thanks
sudhama

sudhama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Command + Option + Escape keys will bring up (most of the time) the Force Quit window.
thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

I normally do this... open terminal in Applications...
type top
look for the app you want to kill and remember the numbers before the app name (PID numbers)
type q
type kill -9 PID
PID is the app ID that you want to kill...

hope this helps

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Command + Option + Escape
The order of the symbols in the menu is Option Command Escape, just so you get those straight.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just made the switch BABY!!! | Printing from My Mac on PC shared printer »