New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Tomorrow's the Day!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zoso1951

Yay!!!! Tomorrow I get to pick up my new iBook 14 in' & Airport Extreme at the Portland Apple Store and I then I'll be switched, TG.
I hope I can sleep tonite!
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

good luck buddy.............you'll have a great time with it.........hope you enjoy it and take care of it!

that's funny..............a couple of friends of mine (PC users, but not Mac bashers tho) were here tonight.....and after playing with my powerbook for a few hours.....they loved it..............and let me quote what one of em said to me after arriving home and using his PC (Windows): "damn bro, after using that Mac, and that OS, this computer and windows, feels like bull...... apple is light years ahead of windows"
QUOTE Thanks
Uni

well done mate the iBooks are awesome for an all round machine... ive got the old 933 14" and it kicks butt...
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

Congratuations!!! Hope you enjoy Mac and the Mac OS.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

iBooks are the best starter machines I think and really for most people Apple's best laptop. It's versatile, powerful, and very rugged (I've dropped mine on the floor numerous times...I really need to be more careful lol).

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
IndianPowerbook

I wouldn't go so far on the durability. Granted dropping it on the floor is one thing, but my friend purchased an iBook from me and got into a car accident with the iBook in the car. Thank god my friend was ok, but the iBook is a different story. The protection that was used was a normal neoprene case (so i wouldn't expect much anyways) but the entire screen was shattered and the price to repair--$800. Which makes me feel, dropping the iBook on the floor from like 5 feet in the hair is pretty harsh, getting crushed between electronics doesnt seem that much more....mmm who knows?

but congrats on the new iBook....first thing to do---buy a case!
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Ouchie

I haven't tried an iBook, so I can only go by the powerbook design which is pretty solid (shortly after buying I dropped a keyboard on it, almost had a heart attack, but didn't even leave a scratch)

Agreed... buy a case.. not necessarily the overpriced Apple one (100, WT??!!!) but something decent.

My PB gets royalty treatment. Only ever touch it after washing hands, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
zoso1951

[B]Thanks to all who have read & replied. The lil' iBook is up and running fine.
Added my wife so she has her own account, and now just waiting for Comcast to show
up to register and get a bunch of goodies downloaded, then add in the Airport, & the
wireless HP, Lisa (my wife) had to have.,,,,,,and away we go. Any good O'reilly books
for Unix/Panther OSX newbies to buy so I can learn all about Shell / or Darwin/Unix
commands to keep the iBook's overnight logs and temp files from slowing it down??
Thanks, again!!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Just a side note. You do not need to download and install comcast application software in order to set your system up to connect to the internet.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Get a book. That's what I intend to do. I've had a flick through some of the many books in a shop and they quickly highlight some useful knowledge and tips. A good deal (and size) seems to be the O'Reilly pocket book. (I might start a thread on this asking for suggestions rather thank hijack this one...)
QUOTE Thanks
zoso1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
Just a side note. You do not need to download and install comcast application software in order to set your system up to connect to the internet.
So, should I stop the installer if he wants to install software to connect the
G4 iBook to the internet?
Thanks , man.
QUOTE Thanks
s_ton

Yup. All they really need to do is run the cables. And if your house already has the cables laid from before, they really just remove some sort of filter and you're ready to go. Set-up is pretty straight foward. Just hook everything up and you should be ready to go. I thought some cable internet service charge extra for "network troubleshoot" service, I don't think they'll help you install your AirPort if you don't get that. (Well, mine won't) But the set up is pretty straight foward just follow the steps in the router manual.
QUOTE Thanks
LooCee

Hey, congratulations! I'm hopefully making the switch for good next week. About a year ago i bought an 'old school' blueberry ibook, as a second computer but i only thought OS 9 was ok and didn't use it enough to really transition so i've just sold it and after doing a weeks work experience on an imac on OS X and having played with OS X in numerous stores, and realising how much it's come on from OS 9, i'm off to get an ibook next week too I hope it all goes well!
QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13

good for u..hmm..when will b ma turn...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie questions | problems with internet connection,plz help »