New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mail -> Attach file (photo) from iPhoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Milan

Milan is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I just got my new iMac, and need some help. Here is the question ...

I downloaded images from my camera into iPhoto, and it created an event with all pictures inside, nicely organized (wow!) ...

Now, ... when I use Mail to send pictures as attachments, I click on attach button, and it opens Finder where I browse until it gets to photos, and it shows only iPhoto library, but not individual files. I can drag a picture from iPhoto into message body, but I would rather like them to go as an attachment.

What am I doing wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
guybrush

guybrush is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, the two best approaches to sending messages with images from iPhoto are these:

1- Open iPhoto, select the pictures you want to send, then click the "Email" button on the bottom of the screen. Choose the desired resolution, then click on "Compose". Then send.

2- Open iPhoto, select the pictures you want to send and drag them to the desktop. Close iPhoto, open Mail, and attach the desktop images to your new message.

Note: With Apple Mail, any attached photo will be seen as images in the message body.
QUOTE Thanks
Milan

Milan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
Note: With Apple Mail, any attached photo will be seen as images in the message body.
Didn't know that ... Does that apply to PC mail recipients as well (eg. Outlook, yahoo ...)?
QUOTE Thanks
Penny59

Penny59 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Getting one for Xmas!!

Stupid Question.. When I get my iMac how do I send e-mail? My address is AOL but I would like to use that neat new stationary, etc. in .mac mail?? So sorry for thise dumb question. I know mac is not an ISP.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
CArmstrong

CArmstrong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB

There is a built-in mail client called... welll... Mail.

You can configure it to send mail through your AOL account, and yes I do believe you can use the stationery and whatnot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny59 View Post
Stupid Question.. When I get my iMac how do I send e-mail? My address is AOL but I would like to use that neat new stationary, etc. in .mac mail?? So sorry for thise dumb question. I know mac is not an ISP.

Thanks

"Excuse me, does this effectively hide my thunder?" - Tobias Fünke, Arrested Development
QUOTE Thanks
drjoan827

drjoan827 is on a distinguished road

Question for Guybrush:
I am new to Mac from PC Outlook Express. Is there any way to send photos through Mail as an attachment rather than embedded? Will my windows recipients be able to view and download and save my photos?
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Try going to EDIT---Attachments---- Always send windows friendly Attachments

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

And stay out of the iPhoto library in finder! Do as guybrush said to attach photos. Mucking about in the finder, like Windows users do in Windows, will create havoc in your iPhoto app. Just do anything and everything to/with your photos from within the iPhoto app itself. There is NEVER a need to go into the library in finder. Let iPhoto manage its library itself under the hood, so to speak, and you manage your photos from the app.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
drjoan827

Thanks for all your advice. Now a new question for this new Mac user and reluctant switcher.....When I send photos from within iphoto through mail, the quality is terrible, whether I choose medium, full, or actual quality, the received version is pixelated and terrible. What am I doing wrong? When I chose the photo, it asks me what size, and I have tried all size options, but no improvement. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoan827 View Post
Thanks for all your advice. Now a new question for this new Mac user and reluctant switcher.....When I send photos from within iphoto through mail, the quality is terrible, whether I choose medium, full, or actual quality, the received version is pixelated and terrible. What am I doing wrong? When I chose the photo, it asks me what size, and I have tried all size options, but no improvement. Thanks!
Have you seen this yourself or have you been told by others? I'm guessing it's a windows thing as windows attaches two files... one real low k file and one actual file. Are they viewing the larger of the two files?
QUOTE Thanks
drjoan827

Actually I saw it myself, I sent myself a photo from Mac to Mac, from iphoto through Mail. Also saw it on my PC laptop. Terrible resolution, large pixels.
QUOTE Thanks
meron

meron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted1 View Post
I send email with attachments to my pc from my new imac. Was not a problem before but now they are embedded - the Always send windows friendly Attachments has always been selected in my mail - I'm thinking it's a iphoto update thing because my friend emails me photos from his old version iphoto and they come through on my pc as attachments. If anyone has some insight into this, I'd love to hear it because it's a real drag.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
meron

meron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
Hello,

I just got my new iMac, and need some help. Here is the question ...

I downloaded images from my camera into iPhoto, and it created an event with all pictures inside, nicely organized (wow!) ...

Now, ... when I use Mail to send pictures as attachments, I click on attach button, and it opens Finder where I browse until it gets to photos, and it shows only iPhoto library, but not individual files. I can drag a picture from iPhoto into message body, but I would rather like them to go as an attachment.

What am I doing wrong?
Same thing happened to me - see my message below. But here is a fix Mail Attachments Iconizer 2.1 http://lokiware.info/Mail-Attachments-Iconizer . The only thing about this is that you don't see the photo in the messages area of your outgoing email, but windows users do receive it as a correct attachment.
QUOTE Thanks
leighbarnes

leighbarnes is on a distinguished road

I'm having this problem of attached photos in Mail pixelating badly as well, but it seems to be a new problem and I don't remember it happening before. Surely there must be an explanation for this - is it a problem with the latest version of the software? It really should not be necessary to use third party software to send a decent quality photo on a Mac. Somebody please help us on this as it is certainly driving me mad and forcing me to use Gmail instead.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted1 View Post
Thanks Kilted - I've been plagued by this problem for a while. I was zipping my picture files so that Windows recipients could read them. This has fixed that. Thanks to OP for raising the issue too.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What should i do? | When should I get a Macbook? »