New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

if i have a mac problem, do I tell the geniuses that i installed my own ram?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

milk is white

milk is white is on a distinguished road

...or will that void my warranty? i, like many other people who probably didn't want to pay Apple's insane prices for RAM, bought it on eBay and installed it myself.

now, if I go to apple and troubleshoot a problem (i.e. if applications crash unexpectedly), and tell them that I installed RAM on my own, would they not look at it for free (would it void my warranty)?

What would you do?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

For the MacBook at least, Apple considers RAM user-replaceable. If you subsequently have problems that are unrelated to RAM, you should have no warranty fulfillment troubles whatsoever. If you have problems that could be reasonably tied to RAM, then you're probably going to pay for any related repairs.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Yes, tell them. Upgrading memory does not void your warranty (they tell you how to do it in the manual!) And knowing that it's there will help them to identify problems that can be caused by bad RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
spilio

spilio is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5

Keeping secrets from your computer tech is like keeping secrets from your doctor. It's a bad idea...

J
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Burning Discs | Newbie Question »